When it comes to home gym equipment, one of the most effective pieces of kit you can invest in is an indoor exercise bike. Not only are they perfect for low-impact workouts for the whole body, but they’re also likely to be more budget-friendly than treadmills, rowing machines, and other expensive home gym equipment.
No matter what your goal, from losing weight to training for a big cycling event, the best exercise bike can help you get there. However, with so many different options available, at a whole range of price points, it can be challenging to decide which of the best exercise bikes out there is the right one for you.
Our advice guide will walk you through the different types of indoor exercise bike, which type is best suited to your goals, how much you can expect to spend on one of the best exercise bikes on the market, and what to look for in the reviews. We’ll also cover some of the top picks and how to find the best deals on exercise bikes. It’s time to lace up your trainers and start cycling!
|1||JLL IC300 PRO Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike, Direct Belt Driven...||178 Reviews||£289.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Dripex Upright Exercise Bikes (Indoor Studio Cycles) - Studio...||63 Reviews||from £129.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||LIFE CARVER BTM Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike Spin Bike Studio...||76 Reviews||from £155.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Ultrasport F-Bike, Bicycle Trainer, Home Trainer, Collapsible...||2,207 Reviews||from £95.97||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Nero Sports Spinning Aerobic Exercise Bike Indoor Training...||5 Reviews||£148.79||Buy on Amazon|
|6||JLL IC300 Indoor Exercise Bike 2019, Cardio Workout, 18kg...||87 Reviews||£219.99||Buy on Amazon|
|7||XS Sports XS012 Exercise Bike - Aerobic Equipment - Upright...||311 Reviews||£177.99||Buy on Amazon|
Without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the best indoor exercise bikes in 2020!
1. Sportstech Professional Indoor Cycle SX500 with Smartphone App
- The SX500 exercise bike has a 25 KG balanced flywheel + step free...
- High-quality multifunctional console with digital display and...
- VIDEO EVENTS, COACHING & MULTIPLAYER MODE: With KINOMAP and Sportstech...
The Sportstech smart bike is the first product up on our list. The SX500 is a fully-adjustable, smart technology, studio quality bike that not only works your lower muscle groups, but is designed to give you a complete, well-balanced, efficient full-body workout.
- Smart Technology. The SX500 features a smart console that gives you everything you need to know about your workout right there in front of you.
- Adjustable seat and pedals. Customise the machine to fit your own needs for the smoothest ride.
- Nice and quiet. The high-quality belt drive helps the machine run at a more quiet speed, minimising distraction and making it more ideal to use at home.
- Effective training guides. Contains heart rate monitor and pulse belt to help ensure that you are maintaining the correct heart rate for the training you want
- Easy transport and storage. Rollers located on the back of the machine are effective for easy transport.
Features and Specs
The SX500 is designed with you in mind. The machine comes complete with handlebars, seat, and pedals that are all fully adjustable to ensure that you feel confident and comfortable when using your bike. Additionally, the armrests of the bike come with extra padding, which helps to relieve stress on your wrists and hands and allows you to bike in the aero position for a longer period of time, greatly adding to your workout.
As mentioned before, the SX500 is also equipped with smart technology. Everything you need to know about your workout is fully displayed on the screen right in front of you, helping keep track of your stats and assisting you in find the perfect workout. It’s also compatible with your tablet or smartphone and comes with a holder for your own device, allowing you to rock out to your favourite playlist or binge watch your favourite shows while you bike.
Help keep track of your progress during your workout with the built-in pulse belts and heart monitor. Located right on the handlebars, the SX500 can track your pulse and heart rate at any point in the workout. Set your ideal target heart rate at the beginning, and the machine will adjust itself accordingly to help you reach and maintain that heart rate. This will enable you to get the maximum out of your workout and bring you that much closer to achieving your desired results.
We had almost nothing but good things to say about our Sportstech SX500. The machine is easy to assemble and even easier to adjust to our specifications. It’s quiet and allows us to do our workout in peace without disturbing the others in our house. Not only that, the quality of the bike is fantastic, and it’s clear that it’s built to last a long time. Do be aware, however, that it is very heavy and can be difficult to move without assistance.
Despite its higher price, the SX500 is worth it! With the customisable features and a steel frame that’s built to last, this bike will help you get back into the groove and finally get that toned, muscular frame you’ve been dreaming of!
Pros & Cons
2. JTX Cyclo 6 Exercise Bike – Gym Spec Indoor Bike
- GYM QUALITY EXERCISE BIKE: The JTX Cyclo 6 is the style of indoor bike...
- QUADRI-SET ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM: The Quadri-Set adjustment system allows...
- WHAT ARE SPIN BIKES? Spinner, Spinning and Spin are brand terms that...
If you’re looking for a quality bike you’ll likely find at a spin class in the gym, then the Cyclo 6 by JTX Fitness is the perfect fit for you! With a focus on intensive cardio, this spin bike is designed to simulate cycling on a variety of roads all with the smoothness and comfort of your own home gym.
- Gym Quality. Get the quality workout you’d expect from the gym without ever having to leave your house.
- Quadri-Set Adjustment System. The seat, handles, and pedals are all fully adjustable, designed to fit your individual needs.
- Infinity Resistance. Tweak your ride throughout your workout to ensure that you are on track to reach your desired goal.
- Clear View Computer. The on-board computer clearly displays all your stats and even saves information from previous workouts.
Features and Specs
The Cyclo 6 is a spin bike, designed for high-intensity cardio workouts. The professional quality of the machine will make you feel as though you’re taking a spin class at the gym, while the variety of workout programs will help push you to that optimal heart rate. You can get the best out of your workout by feeling stronger and healthier with each use.
The Quadri-Set Adjustment System allows you to customize your Cyclo 6 to your specifications. The seat is cushioned and adjusts both horizontally and vertically to work with any alignment and posture. The handlebars also adjust vertically for those of us who are more on the taller side. Get the perfect adjustments for you in order to maximize your workout.
The resistance control on the bike is both intuitive and infinite, allowing you to tweak and adjust your settings throughout your workout. Different settings are meant to mimic road conditions, complete with hills and curves, designed to keep you engaged and help you reach and maintain your ideal heart rate.
The clear view computer is located right in between the handlebars for your optimal viewing pleasure. It keeps track of all the important stats–time, speed, distance, calories, and pulse–and has them all displayed on one screen, preventing you from having to flip back and forth during your workout.
We absolutely love the high quality of our Cyclo 6 bikes! It’s sturdy, easy to use, and provides us with a smooth, quiet ride. The adjustments help us ensure we are comfortable and getting the most out of our workout. Additionally, the customer service at JTX Fitness is incredible and does whatever they can to keep our machines running and us feeling satisfied.
If cardio is your game, then the Cyclo 6 is the bike you need! Find the perfect workout to get you heart healthy and shed off those extra few pounds all while spinning in style.
Pros and Cons:
If you’re looking for a sleek and modern bike that will provide you with a smooth and stable ride, then the Bodymax B2 Exercise Bike is right for you! Certified by German standards of design, safety, and functionality, this bike features a 13kg flywheel along with a quick release tension adjuster that provides continuous tension that makes the ride feel as good as the workout itself.
- 13kg flywheel
- LCD heart rate monitor
- Transport wheels for easy movement
- Sleek and modern design
Features and Specs
The solid construction and smooth feel of the B2 Exercise Bike give it unbeatable value! In addition to the quick release tension adjuster, the bike also features a 3 piece crank and balanced pedals, complete with foot straps, and is chain driven in order to provide additional resistance. However, the 13kg flywheel helps keep the ride smooth and sturdy.
The B2 also comes with a large, easy-to-read LCD monitor that displays time, speed, RPM, distance, and calories. Additionally, the heart and telemetric pulse monitors help you keep track of your vital signs as well to ensure that you are reaching and maintaining your optimal heart rate in order to get the most out of your workout.
The bike also comes with an adjustable seat–both horizontal AND vertical–and adjustable foam-covered handlebars for a comfortable fit that’s unique to you. Also, the frame comes with transport wheels that make it easy to move to and store your B2 exercise bike. And, as an added bonus, you also receive a free water bottle and holder to help keep you hydrated during your workout.
We love how quick and easy it was to assemble our B2 Exercise Bike! The instructions are simple to follow, and we were able to put the whole thing together in as little as 20 minutes! The bike itself is a strong, sleek design that both looks and feels good when we use it. It’s almost like cycling on an actual road!
However, we have noticed issues with seeing the computer screen after a certain period of time. And in order to monitor your heart rate, you do need to buy the telemetry strap. Also, after a period of time, the wheel does start to make noise when you use the bike.
Overall, the Bodymax B2 Exercise Bike is a sturdy machine designed to give you a good, resistance workout. It’s a good quality machine for an unbeatable price. Pick yours up today, and you’ll be cycling like a pro in no time!
Are you ready to get the best workout of your life on your terms and your schedule? If so, then the Dripex Upright Exercise Bike is just right for you! This versatile machine comes complete with workout routines from some of the top fitness and cycling instructors, helping you get the workout you need and the results you desire.
- Multiple-Use Handlebars. Designed to fit your unique posture
- LCD Display. Lets you see your results in real time during your workout.
- Adjustable Seat and Pedals. Ensure the bike is set to your standards to make you feel comfortable and confident.
- Flywheel with Limitless Resistance. Adjust the level of resistance in order to help train certain muscle groups
Features and Specs
The Dripex Exercise Bike is designed to give you a safe, secure, and effective workout. The handlebars, seat, and pedals are all adjustable to fit every person’s shape and posture. Additionally, a central armrest has been added for comfort and security. The seat is designed to hold up to 330 pounds, and the pedals are made of solid aluminum alloy for a longer lifespan.
Safety is also an important feature with the Dripex. The pedals are made with an anti-skid design in order to ensure your feet stay right where they need to be. The bike also comes with an emergency stop brake that can be gently applied in order to create more friction and help give you a more intense workout, but can also be used to stop the machine quickly and immediately if need be.
The bike itself is designed in a triangle shape in order to make it more stable, stronger, and safer. The 14lb flywheel provides you with the maximum amount of resistance in order to make your workout as easy or as intense as you desire. Target different key muscle groups in order to give your body a full, even, toned look.
We have almost nothing but good things to say about our Dripex Exercise Bike. This machine has it all! It’s easy to set up and assemble. It’s adjustable to fit the specifications of almost anyone. It’s quiet and smooth. And it gives us a wide variety of training programs in order to target our specific muscle groups. In addition, it’s extremely comfortable and is an excellent quality machine at an affordable price.
If you want a professional workout that will deliver satisfying results, then we highly recommend the Dripex Exercise Bike. Pick one up today and get yourself one step closer to achieving your fitness goals.
Whether you’re just deciding to try to get into cycling or your a rigorous biker who likes to take on the toughest terrains, then the XS Sports Aerobic Bike is the perfect fit for you! This high quality machine is crafted from the best professional materials and has been tested in a variety of situations, ensuring that it is the most reliable and durable bike that you could ask for.
- Safety. Includes full adjustable resistance and an emergency stop lever.
- Fully Adjustable. Handlebars, seat, and pedal straps all adjust at a high range to fit your specific needs.
- Comfort. The seat and handlebars are all cushioned with deep padding to provide you with support where you need it the most.
Features and Specs
XS Sports stands behind their products and promises you that they are built to last. The Aerobic Training Bike is no different. Crafted from premium materials, this machine is designed to hold people up to 125kg easily. Additionally, the handlebars, seat, and pedal straps all come with a wide, adjustable range to ensure that everyone feels secure and comfortable when using the machine.
It doesn’t matter your training level. The XS Sports Bike is designed with everyone in mind. The 15kg flywheel and precise LCD displays help monitor your speed, distance, pulse, calories, and duration and can help you track your workout process during every new session. Watch yourself cycle farther and harder as your training intensifies, and you’ll be feeling like a pro in no time!
And of course, XS Sports wants you to feel comfortable when you’re working out. The seat comes designed with deep, padded memory foam for maximum comfort that will aide in providing longer workouts. Also, the handlebars feature padded arm and elbow rests for those moments when you want to lean in and give it your all, giving you all the benefits of a full, cycling workout.
We love how easy our XS Exercise Bike is to assemble, and how quickly we can get into a normal workout routine. We love how everything adjusts to fit each rider’s specific needs, and we love how quiet and smooth the ride is. The entire product is sturdy and very well-designed.
XS ensures that every one of their products is tested again and again in order to provide you with a quality piece of machinery that you can rely on. Their tireless dedication to excellence is what makes them one of the top leaders in home fitness equipment. The XS Sports Bike is safe, affordable, and effective. Get started with one today!
We have found issues with the pedals, though. Several of us have noticed the straps don’t always hold and have even seen pedals break or fall off in the middle of a ride!
Pros and Cons:
The Best Indoor Exercise Bike Guide 2020!
The benefits of an exercise bike
Before we go into the different types of exercise bike on the market, let’s look at why you may want to invest in the first place. There are so many different benefits that you can enjoy from cycling, but here are just a few:
- Burning calories – Using an exercise bike is classed as a cardiovascular activity, which is ideal for burning lots of calories in a short space of time. Depending on your body weight and the intensity of your cycle, you could burn up to 500 calories an hour using an exercise bike! This is perfect for those who are looking at exercise bikes for weight loss.
- Low impact exercise – A lot of people with knee problems or injuries find running on a treadmill, or the road, difficult. Luckily, cycling is a low impact exercise that is joint-friendly. You’ll also find no stress being put on your hips or other joints. The best exercise bike will push you – but not too hard that you’ll end up injured.
- Building and toning muscles – Along with burning calories, indoor cycling is good for muscle toning. However, it’s not just muscly legs that you can expect when using an exercise bike. Depending on the type of indoor bike, it can also help tone your core, lower stomach and upper body.
- Save space – Many people opt for exercise bikes over other home gym equipment as they’re not too big or bulky. Plenty of the best exercise bikes on the market will also fold up, making them easier to store away when you’re not using them.
- Increased energy and health – On top of burning calories and toning your muscles, cycling can bring with it a whole host of other health benefits. Research shows that this kind of cardiovascular exercise can boost your energy levels throughout the day, reduce high blood pressure, regulate blood sugars, and keep your heart healthy. What’s not to like?
The different types of exercise bike
If you’ve already been searching a while for the best exercise bikes, you might be astounded at the sheer number of variations there are. Each one comes with its own benefits and will suit certain people or particular goals – something we’ll cover shortly. For now, however, let’s look at the different types of exercise bikes available:
Upright exercise bikes
This is the most common type of exercise bike you’ll find, particularly in home gyms. They also come in at a wide range of price points, making them affordable for most. They’re also a great entry level exercise bike for those who don’t exercise regularly. Finally, many of the best upright exercise bikes are foldable meaning you can save space in the home.
Recumbent exercise bikes
If you have any kind of back problems, then you’re probably going to want a recumbent exercise bike. For the most part, they work exactly like the upright exercise bikes. However, they come with a seat instead of a saddle, meaning that you can sit in a position that supports your back while pedalling away.
Spinning or studio exercise bikes
If you’ve ever been to a spin class at the gym, then you’ll know what these look like! They can seem similar to any other exercise bike at first glance, but it’s the placement of the handlebars that set them apart from upright exercise bikes. Spinning bikes have the handlebars much further forward so that the ride has to lean forward when riding.
Picking the best exercise bike for your goals
Now we know what kind of exercise bikes are available, which one will suit your goals? There’s no point in finding the best exercise bike for weight loss if your goal is to train for the Tour De France! Here are some of the most common goals that exercise bike users are hoping to achieve, along with of the best exercise bike types will be right for them.
- Weight loss – If weight loss is your goal, then you can pick from most of the best exercise bikes out there. However, to really feel the burn then you’ll want to go with a spinning or studio bike. For those who are just beginning, start with an upright exercise bike that comes with workout programmes built for weight loss. As your stamina builds up, you can move on to something a bit more intense like the spinning bikes.
- Cycling training – If you’re training for a cycling event then you’ll definitely want to invest in a spinning or studio bike. This will give you a similar posture as to what you’d use while racing, and you can increase the intensity to match the level you’d expect at the event. No excuse not to train when the weather is bad if you have an indoor cycling bike!
- Low impact or injury recovery – If you’re looking for the best low impact exercise bike, then you’re definitely going to want to consider a recumbent bike. The full back support will help take any pressure off your knees and ankles, and can really help if you have lower back pain. Recumbent bikes are also the best exercise bikes for knee problems.
- Building and toning muscle – If you want to use your exercise bike to tone up then you have the pick of the bunch! Any of the best exercise bikes on the market will help you with your goal, but it all depends on where you want to tone up. For example, a recumbent bike can help tone your lower stomach due to the seating position. If you fancy a challenge, a spinning bike will really push your muscles.
How much are the best exercise bikes?
Exercise bikes vary widely when it comes to price, as they can range from super simple through to professional level pieces of equipment. For example, a basic upright exercise bike can be found for less than £100 if you’re not worried about different settings, workout programmes, or fancy displays. Many of these can be folded away and are suitable for beginners, just testing whether an exercise bike is right for them.
However, when you’re looking for the best exercise bikes with all of the gadgets then you’ll be looking closer to the £200 mark; sometimes even higher. These aren’t quite at professional level yet, but they will provide you with everything you could possibly need to reach your goals. Finally, if you’ve got a professional event to prepare for or a big budget to blow, then expect to pay anything above £300 – sometimes even up to the £2,000 mark!
Where to find the best exercise bikes reviews?
Before spending any kind of money on what you think is the best exercise bike for your needs, it’s important to check the reviews first. This will give you an insight into whether it’s any good for what you want to use it for, and if there are any red flags. We’ve collated some of the best exercise bikes and their reviews so that you can make a more informed decision before splashing the cash.
What to look for in reviews of the best rated exercise bikes
Just knowing what kind of exercise bike will help you reach your goals isn’t enough – there are so many top rated exercise bikes out there, it can still be an uphill struggle trying to whittle them down. Before you commit to a purchase, here are some of the things you should look for in the best exercise bikes reviews:
- Resistance levels – This is an important one, as it will make a big difference to how hard your exercise bike is going to be able to push you. Many cheap exercise bikes will only have a few resistance levels, and some have none at all. Look for how many levels of resistance the exercise bike has and if it’s going to challenge you as you improve.
- Noise levels – Some of the best exercise bikes in the world are noisy, that’s just the way it is! However, look around the reviews to find out just how noisy the one you like is. You don’t want to be waking up the neighbours at midnight, cycling away.
- Modes and programmes – Unlike the gym equipment, many of the best exercise bikes for home are limited on their modes, programmes and functions. If you have a smaller budget, don’t be surprised if you don’t get a huge number of workout or training programmes. However, the more professional the bike, the more modes it will come with.
- Display – On the same vein as modes and programmes, what about the display? Is it easy to read? How is it powered? Some of the best value exercise bikes keep costs low by having a small, battery operated LCD display that isn’t fancy, but does the trick.
- Assembly – Most exercise bikes come flat packed, which means you’re going to need to put it together yourself. How easy do reviewers think it is to do this? Also, if you’re buying a foldable exercise bike then how easy is it to fold up and get back out again?
- Weight limit – If you’re looking for the best exercise bike for weight loss, keep an eye on the weight limits. Ensure that the one you’re looking at is suitable for your weight, as some of the models at the lower end of the scale do not have very high maximum weight limits.
- Value for money – The best value exercises bikes are the ones you want to look for. Don’t always go for the lower end of your budget if there’s one that offers better value for money. Look for reviews that rave about what good value that particular exercise bike is, before parting with your money.
How to find the best deals on exercise bikes
You should now be raring to go shopping for the best exercise bike, whatever your budget or goal. However, if you still want to squeeze the price down a little, then you may want to consider some of the deals within this buying guide. We have rounded up the best exercise bikes on the market at some of the best prices. Whether you want something cheap and cheerful to start your weight loss journey or you need something top of the range to train for a cycling event, there should be something here to suit your needs.
Another top tip is to look for exercise bike deals around Christmas and before New Year. Treat yourself to one of the best rated exercise bikes before the New Year, and before everyone else makes resolutions to lose all that Christmas weight, to find the best prices. Alternatively, February is yet another good time to invest in one of the best exercise bikes – basically, when people have given up on their resolutions! Many of the big name brands will run regular deals on their best selling exercise bikes, so keep your eyes peeled if you want to bag yourself a bargain.
Recent Reviews & Guides
- The 5 Best Free Standing Punching Bag – Options To Boost Your Workout
- The 6 Best Electric Cars For Kids
- The Best Budget Golf Rangefinders To Up Your Game!
- 5 Reasons Why a Stationary Bike is Good for Bad Knees
- The Best Walkie Talkies To Help You Stay In Touch
- A Comprehensive Guide To Different Kinds of Exercise Bikes
- Should You Buy a Treadmill or an Exercise Bike?
- Using an Exercise Bike – How Many Calories Can I Burn?
- 5 of the Best Turbo Trainers on the Market
- 6 of the Best Smart Turbo Trainers To Buy Now
- The Best Spinning Apps That Will Keep You In Shape
- 5 Cheap Exercise Bikes in 2019
- The Best Air Bikes
- Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
- Best Folding Exercise Bike
- Best Mini Exercise Bikes
- The Best Indoor Exercise Bikes Reviewed