It’s thought that men spend over 35 days (around 840 hours) shaving in their lifetime; unless they’re sporting a full beard. With the time-consuming clean-shaven look on the way out and lumberjack beards on the way in, it’s more important than ever to own a beard trimmer. Whether you just want to keep it longer for winter or are fully embracing the five o’clock shadow all year round, adding a beard trimmer to your grooming toolkit is a must. Taming an unruly beard can only be done with the best beard trimmer, but with so many options on the market where do you start? Plus, there are so many other things to think about.
Will it be used for short hair or long hair? Fine hairs or coarse? Are you going to use it to neaten up body hair or the hair on your head, too? Where will you be using it most; at home or on the go? With so many variables to consider, finding the best men’s beard trimmer is no longer just a case of going into a shop and picking up the only one on offer. Luckily, our ultimate guide on the best beard trimmers will help you make the decision about which one is right for you. Whatever you need it for and whatever your budget, we’ve got you (and your facial hair) covered.
Table of Contents
- The 10 Best Selling Beard Trimmers of 2021
- The Best Beard Trimmers You Can Buy Today!
- 1. Philips Series 5000 Beard and Stubble Trimmer
- 2. Wahl Groomsman Rechargeable Trimmer Set
- 3. Panasonic Wet and Dry Beard Trimmer
- 4. Braun Beard Trimmer BT3221 and Hair Clipper
- 5. BaByliss Precision Beard Trimmer for Men
- The Best Beard Trimmers Guide 2021!
- Dry shaving vs wet shaving – Beard trimmer vs razors
- Pros & Cons of Razors
- Pros and Cons of Beard Trimmers
- How to choose the best beard trimmer for you
- How much should you spend on the best beard trimmer in 2021?
- Where to find the best beard trimmer reviews?
- What to look for in beard trimmer reviews
- How to clean a beard trimmer
- How to make a beard trimmer last long
- Do I need the Best Beard Trimmer?
The 10 Best Selling Beard Trimmers of 2021
The Best Beard Trimmers You Can Buy Today!
1. Philips Series 5000 Beard and Stubble Trimmer
- Style your beard with an effortless, even trim: the innovative...
- Double sharpened full metal blades that cuts more hairs in every pass...
- Get an even trim at any length with the adjustable zoom wheel with 17...
A product that is as often used as a beard trimmer needs to be uncomplicated, yet efficient. This Philips trimmer is exactly that.
- It’s 100% waterproof.
- It features a double sharpened blade.
This trimmer works fast. The double sharpened full metal blades allow for extra hairs to be cut with every pass of the hair. Paired with the rounded blade tips, you won’t have to think twice about accidental nicks. The adjustable zoom wheel has 17 lock-in settings, so you can trim at any length from 0.4 to 10 mm. There is also an integrated hair lift comb to make it even more adjustable to your hair length needs.
You only need to charge this trimmer for an hour, and you’ll get another hour of cordless run time. It’s also 100% waterproof for those who like to shave and trim in the shower.
What We Love
- The amazing battery life.
- Easily adjustable to every personal preference for beard length.
What We Don’t Love
- It’s a bit clunky in shape.
Whether you like to play around with your beard length or know someone who does, this makes an excellent gift for others, or for yourself.
2. Wahl Groomsman Rechargeable Trimmer Set
- CORDLESS POWER – Achieve your beard styling needs with this stubble...
- VARIED CUTTING LENGTHS - Trim, shape and edge your beard with cutting...
- PRECISION GROUND BLADES - Precision ground, high carbon steel blades...
Being on a budget shouldn’t mean that you can’t keep up-to-date with your beard trimming! The Wahl Groomsman product is perfect for the budget-friendly shopper.
- It’s cordless and rechargeable.
- It offers a selection of lengths.
With this product, you can tackle not just your beard, but your stubble, necklines, and sideburns, too. It uses high-carbon precision ground blades to keep up with your facial hair. The entire kit comes with the trimmer, a charger, three attachment combs, a storage stand, a moustache comb, clipper oil, and a cleaning brush. How much more could you ever need?
The trimmer allows for an adjustable guide comb to give you a range of lengths from 0.5mm to 13mm. Without the comb, you get a close cut – 0.5mm. The attachments allow you to go from stubble, medium, or full beard. You get a full 60 minutes on a full charge, so you can take your time going after your dream beard!
What We Love
- It’s budget-friendly.
- It is easy to use and adjust.
What We Don’t Love
- The blades aren’t as long-lasting as other competitors.
- It can take a while to charge.
This product is of great value for the cost. So, get to trimming!
3. Panasonic Wet and Dry Beard Trimmer
- Utmost styling control: The ER-GB42 beard trimmer from Panasonic...
- Premium design: Cordless and equipped with the acute 45 Degree...
- Detailed beard styling: The 45 Degree blades bring you efficiency, as...
Sharp, efficient, and easy to use. The Panasonic Wet and Dry Beard Trimmer is the ultimate gift for a man who loves his beard.
- Wet and dry functionality.
- Easy-to-adjust settings.
This product has a 45 sharp-edged blade to get the perfect close (or not so close) trim. It comes with 20 unique cutting lengths in 0.5mm intervals and comes with a comb attachment. The 45-degree angled blade works to provide minimal skin irritation. So, no matter how close you get, you don’t need to worry about that scratchy after-feel.
Whether you want to trim on the go, or lather up with some shaving foam, you have your choice. The wet and dry functionality means you can just go for it for a quick touch-up, or put on your favourite gel and take your time.
What We Love
- Excellent value for the price.
- It’s very quiet while using it.
- It works in the shower.
What We Don’t Love
- The power cable is a large stand, so it’s not the easiest option for the frequent traveller.
We love this Panasonic for its easy-to-use, close trim functionality. We think you’ll love it, too!
4. Braun Beard Trimmer BT3221 and Hair Clipper
- Sharper, faster, more efficient vs. all previous generations of Braun...
- Precision dial for 20 length settings in 0.5 mm step sizes for an...
- Lifetime Sharp Blades for even beard trimming and hair clipping
This classic beard trimmer is as eye-catching as it is handy. It’s an easy piece to make apart of your daily routine and you’ll forget you ever had to worry about the pains of beard trimming!
- It features Lifetime Sharp Blades.
- It offers 50 minutes of cordless trimming.
The Braun trimmer offers a sharper, faster, and efficient trim, promising that it’s a better product than all of the Braun trimmers that came before it. This is made possible by the close-cutting technology and ultra-sharp blades for even the toughest hair.
There is a precision dial on the product to ensure that your beard is being cut in the exact way that you want it to be. There are 20 length settings that go in 0.5mm step sizes to help you out.
What We Love:
- The battery life for cordless shaving is long enough for a few trims and shaves!
- It offers plenty of different lengths.
What We Don’t Love:
- It will come with an EU charger which may not fit some plugs.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with this budget-friendly, handy beard trimmer!
5. BaByliss Precision Beard Trimmer for Men
- Battery operated beard and moustache trimmer
- Five-position multi-length comb guide to achieve your desired length
- Three jaw line and sideburn blending combs to ensure a tidy,...
No, you didn’t read wrong. This product really is that budget-friendly! But don’t worry, it’s efficiency is far better than the price suggests.
- It’s battery operated.
- It comes with a storage stand.
The BaByliss beard trimmer works great on beards and moustaches to provide a close shave or basic trim. It has a 5-position multi-length comb guide to help guide you through the process of getting the ideal length.
This product will also give you 3 jawline and sideburn blending combs in a 1.5mm, 2.5mm, and 3.5mm length settings.
Is cleaning your beard trimmer the worst part of your morning routine? Fortunately, this product uses detachable blades so your cleaning won’t be more of a hassle!
What We Love:
- It’s incredibly budget-friendly.
- It’s easy to use.
- It uses AA batteries.
What We Don’t Love:
- It can be challenging to use on longer beards.
If you want a high-quality beard trimmer but aren’t willing to pay much, then this product is going to save your beard!
- Shaving is a chore, so you might as well have the best mens electric shavers
- Want a good shave? Then you need great Shaving Brushes
- Dentists recommend it, so you should check out these Electric Toothbrushes
- Everyone needs nose hair trimmers
- Shaving your head is important, so you need the best head shavers
The Best Beard Trimmers Guide 2021!
Dry shaving vs wet shaving – Beard trimmer vs razors
For most men, their first-ever experience with shaving facial hair will be a wet shave. Everyone remembers the day they received their first razor – or borrowed one from an older male in the family. However, as fashions and preferences change, wet shaving has become less of the ‘done thing.’ What are the differences between dry shaving and wet shaving, however? Here are some of the key pros and cons of using both beard trimmers and razors.
Pros & Cons of Razors
- Closeness – If you want the baby-faced look then you’re probably going to want to invest in a razor for the most part. They’re known for providing a close and smooth finish, especially if you opt for a traditional blade and lather.
- Exfoliating the skin – When you shave your face with a razor, a layer of dead skin is also removed along with the hairs. This is a great way of exfoliating the skin, but it isn’t the only way.
- Cuts, nicks, razor burn – One of the most significant downsides to wet shaving with a razor blade is the number of nicks, cuts, and grazes you can get. Not forgetting razor burn, itchy skin or irritation. At the end of the day, you’re dragging a blade across your skin, so this is to be expected to some extent.
- Cost – Using disposable razors or blades adds up. Most blade cartridges or disposable razors need to be replaced every 3-4 shaves, meaning forking out for new ones a few times a month, depending on how often you shave. With each replacement blade costing just over £2 on average, that’s a lot of money every year!
Pros and Cons of Beard Trimmers
- Versatility and convenience – The best beard trimmers are known for being versatile and convenient. Only got a few minutes in the morning to shave? A quick once over with a beard trimmer will do the trick. Want to flit between a clean shave in the week to a bit of stubble at the weekends? You can do that with a beard trimmer, too!
- No irritation – Unlike wet shaving with a razor, beard trimmers are far less likely to cause cuts, nicks, razor burn or irritation. Some people may find that they get some irritation for the first 1-2 weeks with a new electric razor, but it does eventually go.
- Upfront cost – When looking for the best beard trimmer, you may be put off by the price of some models. However, in the long run, the upfront cost usually works out a lot cheaper than spending out on disposable razors or replacement blades.
- Not as close – As beard trimmers cut the hair above the surface of the skin it can be a lot harder to get as close a shave as you can with a razor blade. However, the speed and convenience of using a beard trimmer means you could shave twice a day if you really wanted to!
How to choose the best beard trimmer for you
As mentioned earlier, with so many different options it can be hard to find the best beard trimmer for your needs. First, you need to know what you’re going to use your beard trimmer for. Only then can you make an informed decision as to which of the best beard trimmers are going to work for you. Make your way through this list and create your own list of needs and wants, to find out which is the best beard trimmer for you.
- Charging type – There are various different types of charging types when it comes to beard trimmers. Some use rechargeable or replaceable batteries, others plug into a charging point or straight into the wall, and some even have a USB charger. Consider when and where you’ll be using your beard trimmer, so you can pick the best type of charger.
- The speed of charge – Some of the best beard trimmers on the market can take a while to fully charge – usually around 8 hours. However, some have a quick charge function that will allow you to complete a full shave in a 15-20 minute charge. If you’re the kind of person who will forget to leave your beard trimmer on charge overnight, look for one with the ability to quickly charge it up in a hurry.
- Wet or dry – Want to be able to trim your beard in the shower? Look for the best beard trimmer that can be used in both the wet and dry. If you’re just going to be shaving your beard over the skin, totally dry, then you won’t need a waterproof one.
- Tools and attachments – Some of the best beard trimmers come with a range of different tools and attachments included. Body hair trimmers, different beard length combs, and even precision trimmers for nose or ear hair, are all the types of tool available. Do you need any of these or will they just be extra? Consider this before you buy a beard trimmer with all the bells and whistles if you’re not going to use them.
Use this guide to work out what it is you want from your beard trimmer, but there will be other things you may want to look out for – we’ll cover these in the beard trimmer reviews section.
How much should you spend on the best beard trimmer in 2021?
How long is a strand of beard hair? The best beard trimmers come at a range of different price points, depending on what it is you need from one. However, it’s important to remember that the upfront cost far outweighs paying out for disposable razors or blades every few weeks. At the lower end of the scale, you can find the best value beard trimmer for around £10-20. Most of these will run on batteries, however, so you need to factor that cost into your grooming budget.
As you work your way up the price points, some of the best beard trimmers can be found between £20 and £40. Big names such as Philips, Braun, and Panasonic all have great value beard trimmers around this kind of price level. You’ll also find that these budget-friendly beard trimmers come with lots of little extras that you won’t find at the lower end of the scale.
Finally, if you’ve got big bucks to spend and want something that will last, you can expect to pay upwards of £40 for the very best beard trimmer. Very few will be over £60, however, and this is around how much the average man spends on razor blades every year. So, as long as your beard trimmer lasts over a year – and most of them will come with guarantees longer than that – you’ve saved yourself some money. Expect a whole ton of gadgets and extras with beard trimmers at this price range, too.
Where to find the best beard trimmer reviews?
Before you take the plunge and buy what you believe to be the best beard trimmer for you, it’s important to look for reviews. But where do you find beard trimmer reviews you can trust? And what are you looking for? In this beard trimmer buying guide you’ll find plenty of reviews of beard trimmers; covering a whole range of different types, budgets, and preferences. Whether you need the best beard trimmer for stubble, the best Philips beard trimmer, or just the best-rated beard trimmer overall, we have you covered.
What to look for in beard trimmer reviews
Before you go through the beard trimmer reviews, however, you need to know what you’re looking for. Are there any warning signs to look out for? Knowing what common issues are with the different beard trimmers will ensure you can find the right one for you. The last thing you want is to find out the best-rated beard trimmer actually doesn’t charge how you need it to, or needs replacement parts every few months. Here are some things to look out for in the best beard trimmer reviews, before parting with your hard-earned cash:
- Battery life – Does it hold its battery for as long as the brand claims it does? Beard trimmer reviewers will certainly not hold back if the battery runs out within a few minutes. Keep an eye out for any comments on the real battery life of any potential beard trimmer.
- Size and weight – Some of the best beard trimmers on the market are actually a little heavy. Some of the lower end ones are a little on the small side. Look for comments on the size and weight, to make sure it’s going to fit into your life – and your grooming kit.
- Washable and/or non-corrosive blades – If you’re planning on getting the most out of your new beard trimmer, then you want to make sure it can be cleaned regularly. Are the blades non-corrosive or are they going to rust over time? Check out the beard trimmer reviews to see what others are saying.
- Blade durability – Some beard trimmers, particularly the best Philips beard trimmers, come with self-sharpening blades. This means that you’ll very rarely have to replace them, especially if you can easily rinse them to clean too. However, others will see blades becoming blunt over time, so will need to be replaced.
- Accessories – How are the accessories? Are they well made? Are they useful? Some reviews may comment on the length of the beard trimmer combs or how well the precision trimmers work. Is there too big a gap between the beard trimmer combs? Does the precision trimmer get those hard to reach hairs?
- Type of hair – Finally, look for comments in the beard trimmer reviews about the type of hair the reviewer has. Is it working well on his thick, coarse beard hair? If so, that may be the best beard trimmer for longer beard hair. Are the reviewers just using theirs for five o’clock shadow? If so, perhaps that’s the best beard trimmer for stubble!
How to clean a beard trimmer
Cleaning your beard trimmer is an easy but important step in beard maintenance. After each use you should be removing any hair stuck in the blades. Some trimmers come with a cleaning comb, but a cloth works fine if you don’t have one. Each trimmer should be easy to disassemble or have an easy-to-use button to move or extend the blades, making for an easy clean.
How to make a beard trimmer last long
Beard trimmers are very easy to maintain! As long as you clean the trimmer, you’re already off to a great start. Adding a small amount of oil to the blades every so often will keep them lubricated and working to the best of their ability. A good trimmer can last years.
Do I need the Best Beard Trimmer?
If you want to reap all of the benefits from a beard trimmer, you’re going to want to opt for the best you can afford. The best beard trimmers will come with all of the accessories you need, optimal battery life, and will tame even the unruliest of beards with ease. On top of this, they should also be more cost-effective than using traditional shaving tools, such as disposable razors. Using our ultimate guide, you should now hopefully be able to find the best beard trimmer for you – whatever your budget!