Best Lawn Mowers in 2020 – Turn Mowing into an Enjoyable Task
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Lawn Mowers in 2020 – Turn Mowing into an Enjoyable Task
- 1.1 Best Lawn Mowers on the Market in 2020
- 1.2 Navigate our Best Lawn Mowers Guide!
- 1.3 Different Types of Lawn Mowers
- 1.4 Best Lawn Mowers for Every Yard Type
- 1.5 Best Lawn Mowers Guide: What to Consider Before Buying
- 1.6 Best Lawn Mowers Guide: FAQs
The best lawn mowers available on the market can do more than just cut grass. And, this goes for both powerful walk-behind mowers with a gas engine or those equipped with a quiet electric motor and lithium-ion battery. Quality lawn mowers will also turn mowing into a task as pleasant as possible and allow you to relax and enjoy afterward in a garden with a well-cut lawn. High-quality mower will save you time and also clean up all the buds, seeds, and leaves on the ground.
There are several categories for best lawn mowers, and these vary on the different needs of homeowners. So, before you make a purchase, you should ask yourself what exactly are you expecting from your lawn mowers. Some units excel at versatility, others at toughness and durability. Of course, it is also essential to check whether the model you’re looking at is a competent cutter.
To make the task of choosing a brand-new mower easier for you, we have prepared our list of the best lawn mowers as well as a buying guide that will help you make the right decision.
Best Lawn Mowers on the Market in 2020
|1||Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower with 32 cm Cutting...||3,727 Reviews||£62.29||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Flymo Speedi-Mo 360C Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower, 1500 W, Cutting...||2,884 Reviews||£89.00||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Flymo Easimo Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower, 900 W, Cutting Width 32...||1,826 Reviews||£47.45||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Bosch Rotak 34 R Electric Rotary Lawn Mower||2,622 Reviews||£78.49||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Flymo EasiStore 380R Electric Rotary Lawn Mower - 38 cm Cutting...||1,023 Reviews||£125.00||Buy on Amazon|
|6||Flymo Hover Vac 250 Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower - 1400W,...||1,472 Reviews||£69.99||Buy on Amazon|
- Tacklife Electric Lawnmower
- Murray Lithium-Ion 37 cm Cordless Lawn Mower
- SWIFT 40V Cordless Digital Compact Lawn Mower
- Webb Classic 41cm (16″) Self Propelled Petrol Rotary Lawnmower
- Hyundai Petrol Self Propelled 48cm Lawn Mower
Different Types of Lawn Mowers
There are several different types of lawn mowers. You can find quality walk-behind models for about £150, or you can splurge on a zero-turn mower that can cost you more than £3000. Keep reading to find out what types of lawn mowers are there.
Battery Lawn Mowers
Battery lawn mowers used to be looked down on, but the quality models can cut grass just as well as their gas counterparts. These mowers come with rechargeable lithium-ion battery packs and are available in both push and self-propelled varieties. Storing and maintaining these units is much easier than gas mowers.
The only downside of a battery lawn mower is their short run time. These mowers can be used for about 30 to 45 minutes, based on the size of the motor, making these models most suitable for smaller yards.
Image Courtesy of Albini
Gas Lawn Mowers
Gas-fueled lawn mowers don’t have a limited run time and, therefore, can cut larger yards in one go. These models come in self-propelled and push varieties and usually cost less than the electric mowers. But, keep in mind that you might end up spending more in the long run because of fuel.
Gas mowers usually cost less than the battery-powered models. However, they also come with one downside. Gas mowers tend to be very noisy, and they also produce emissions. When it comes to the maintenance, gas lawn mowers require regular tuneups and oil changes.
Image Courtesy of Columbia Florist
Lawn tractors are gas-powered machines that can cut up to three times faster than a regular push mower. These models are the perfect choice for large lawns. To be more precise, if you have a yard larger than ½ acre, then this type of mower is suitable for you. Some units feature hydrostatic transmissions that are suitable for plows and other tool attachments.
Driving and steering lawn tractors is easy and almost the same as driving a car. High-end models feature comfy, high-backed seats and make it easy to engage the blades and adjust the cutting height. The only downside of owning a tractor mower is that the bagging kits tend to be very expensive. That is why lots of tractor owners mow in side-discharge mode.
Image Courtesy of John Deere
A zero-turn mower is like a souped-up tractor. Instead of a wheel, you control a zero-turn with a pair of levers. Pushing one lever forward will cause the mower to turn in place. These models also come with agile handling and higher top speeds than tractors.
It is effortless to maneuver zero-turn mowers around obstacles. And, the high-top speeds will make it easy to get across your property in no time. Keep in mind that these units are suitable only for those who own a yard larger than 1⁄2 acre without too many hills.
The downside of zero-turn lawn mowers is that they cost more than tractors, but some models don’t cut grass, as well as tractors, do. These mowers are not suitable for hilly properties because they can lose traction and be hard to control on slopes. Also, managing the machine by using the levers requires some practice.
Image Courtesy of John Deere
Rear-engine riders are somewhere between the walk-behind mowers and tractors. These models are usually more affordable than tractors, but they can’t cut as well (or as quickly) as tractors do. But, the good news is that these units are much more compact than tractors. Rear-engine riders are perfect for people who have yards from ½ to 1 acre, but not too much storage space.
When compared to tractors, not even some of the best rear-engine riders could cut grass as well as an average tractor. However, these units cut grass in 30-inch-wide swaths, which is much more than a walk-behind mower. There are both gas and electric rear-engine riders available.
- 5 Best Garden Furniture Sets for Every Outdoor Space
- 5 Best Garden Dining Sets for Perfect Summer Get-Togethers
Image Courtesy of Lawn Habits
Best Lawn Mowers for Every Yard Type
1. Tacklife Electric Lawnmower
- 🚀【Powerful Combination】- 1600W motor and 38cm improved metal...
- 👌【Central Adjustable Heights】- There are 6 adjustable mower...
- 😎【USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN】- The handle is coated with foam rubber...
Tacklife manufacturers some of the best lawn mowers you can get, for an affordable price. This model comes with a powerful 1600W motor and a 38cm improved metal steel blade that ensures the best possible mowing efficiency. This mower has six different cutting heights from 25mm to 75mm that can be easily adjusted via a single lever mounted on the side of the mower. The unit is designed for small to medium-sized lawns that are up to 500m² large.
The mower features a lightweight frame and a compact design. The mower features plastic wheels that can tackle uneven and soft ground without sinking in. There is a 40 litre grass collection box included as well. Thanks to the innovative grass breakers of the Tacklife mower, it is easy to mow along fences and driveways. The unit directs the stems directly to the mower blade. Reworking it with the lawn mower or lawn shears is superfluous.
The best part of owning an electric lawn mower is that it is quiet yet efficient. In addition, starting the motor is done with just a push of a button. However, keep in mind that all electric mowers need a power outlet to run.
What We Like:
- A quiet, yet powerful motor and 48cm steel blade that ensure ultimate mowing efficiency;
- 40 litre grass collection box is more than enough for one mowing session;
- The innovative grass breakers allow easy mowing along fences and driveways;
- The plastic wheels are durable and can tackle any terrain;
- The model comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
What We Don’t Like:
- The mower is corded and requires a power outlet to run.
2. Murray Lithium-Ion 37 cm Cordless Lawn Mower
- Powered by Briggs & Stratton 18V Lithium-Ion Battery System
- 2x Briggs & Stratton 18V 2.5Ah Lithium-Ion Battery and Dual Charger...
- Powerful 36V Dual Battery brushless motor technology for longer life,...
Murray is known for making some of the best lawn mowers that run on batteries. And, the greatest thing about this model is that it comes with two Briggs & Stratton 18V 2.5Ah Lithium-Ion batteries and a dual charger. The greatest thing about these batteries is that they can be used across the entire Murray 18V range.
This model uses a 1500W battery-powered motor. The two batteries are used together in the mower and they provide up to 30 minutes of run time. The mower comes with a 37cm deck and a 40 litre grass collection box. All of this makes the mower suitable for smaller gardens, up to 450 m2.
Murray lawn mower blades are made of steel and they ensure sharp and efficient cuts. The front wheels are 16.5cm, and the rear are 25cm which is a nice touch from Murray as it helps with maneuverability and assists with stability of the mower. You can choose between seven height options that range from 25mm to 75mm.
To prove how serious they are about the quality of their products, Murray offers a 5-year limited warranty on the mower. The battery and charger come with a 3-year warranty.
What We Like:
- A quality cordless mower that runs using two 2.5Ah Lithium-Ion batteries;
- It takes 55 minutes to charge the batteries;
- There are height options ranging from 25mm to 75mm;
- The steel blades ensure sharp and efficient cuts;
- The unit is covered by a 5-year limited warranty.
What We Don’t Like:
- Just like every battery lawn mower, this one has a limited run time (about 30 minutes).
3. SWIFT 40V Cordless Digital Compact Lawn Mower
- Powerful Combination: One 40V Lithium battery and 32cm improved metal...
- Central Adjustable Heights: There are 5 adjustable mower heights (from...
- User-Friendly Design: Equipped with a large 30 Litre grass box,...
This model is one of the best lawn mowers by Swift. It features a 40V Lithium battery and 32cm improved metal steel blade increases the mowing efficiency. The battery can power the mower for about 30 minutes and it can cut up to 250m2 in a single run. One useful features is that you can press a button on the front of the battery and an LED strip will pop up, showing you the level of charge remaining.
The great thing about this model is that you can purchase just a mower that comes with one battery and a charger. Or, you can go for a pack that comes with two batteries that will prolong the mower’s run time.
The motor of this Swift lawn mower is brushless, making it more robust and giving the mower a greater amount of torque. The mower is equipped with a 30 litre grass box which is large enough so you don’t have to empty the box frequently. The mower comes with five adjustable heights, ranging from 20mm to 60mm.
The model is covered with a two-year warranty on the mower and a one-year warranty on the battery.
What We Like:
- A battery-powered lawn mower that removes all the restrictions of having a corded model;
- The brushless motor is more robust and gives the mower a greater amount of torque;
- There are five mower heights, ranging from 20mm to 60mm;
- The mower is covered by a two-year warranty, and the battery by a one-year warranty.
What We Don’t Like:
- Some users complain that the mower doesn’t discharge the grass into the grass box properly.
4. Webb Classic 41cm (16″) Self Propelled Petrol Rotary Lawnmower
- Webb DVO130 132cc Engine
- 2 in 1: Rear Discharge or Collect, Steel deck, metal blade
- Single Lever Height of Cut, Cutting Heights (25-75mm)
Webb Classic 41cm is one of the best lawn mowers for all those looking for a petrol mower. This unit is a self propelled model, meaning that you will have to squeeze a bar near the handle in order for the blade to work.
The unit uses a powerful engine that runs on petrol. This means that you won’t be limited by a cord or a battery when it comes to mowing your lawn, making this model an excellent choice for all those who have larger gardens. Using the mower is quite simple; just start it and guide it to where you want to cut. The powerful engine and the blade will do all the rest.
The cutting heights for this mower range from 25mm to 75mm. When it comes to the grass clippings, you can either collect them in a 45 litre grass collection bag or choose the rear discharge option.
What We Like:
- A powerful model that runs on petrol, meaning you won’t be limited by a cord or battery run time when mowing;
- There are several different cutting heights, ranging from 25mm to 75mm;
- The grass clippings can either be discharged or collected in a 45 litre grass collection bag;
- The engine is fuel-efficient, so you won’t have to spend too much money on fuel.
What We Don’t Like:
- Suitable only for larger gardens; the size and power of the mower is too much for a small yard.
5. Hyundai Petrol Self Propelled 48cm Lawn Mower
- 2.6kW Hyundai OHV 4-stroke 139cc engine, providing easy starting with...
- Split 38cm ribbed rear roller for a traditional British striped lawn....
- Single point cutting height adjustment - 5 cutting heights 25mm to...
Hyundai is known for making some of the best lawn mowers that offer excellent value for the money. And, this model is no exception. It features a Hyundai OHV 4-stroke 139cc engine and combined with a 48cm cutting width hardened steel blade is designed for large sized lawns.
The mower offers innovative 2-in-1 cutting features. You can either choose to cut grass and collect it into 70 litre collection box. Or, you can choose to discharge the grass cuttings from the rear of the mower. The model doesn’t have a mulching function.
The users can choose between five different cutting heights ranging from 17mm to 75mm. As a self propelled model, this mower is controlled from the mounted handle control lever. The unit comes with OPC (Operator Presence Control) technology. In case that you let go of the handle, the mower will not run off.
The self propelled drive operates at a constant speed level of 3000 rpm over various lawn levels. The rear roller drive assists when mowing up or down slopes or uneven areas. The large roller has been designed for easy manoeuvring around the lawn especially around tight corners and flower beds.
What We Like:
- 2-in-1 cutting features – collect the grass into a collection box or discharge it from the rear of the mower;
- OPC technology makes the mower safer; in case the handle is let go, the mower won’t run off;
- The lawn mower can easily conquer slopes and uneven surface;
- The large roller can be easily manoeuvred, making the mower perfect for flower beds and tight corners.
What We Don’t Like:
- A lot of plastic is used, making the lawn mower look and feel a bit cheap.
Best Lawn Mowers Guide: What to Consider Before Buying
Besides the different types of lawn mowers, there are a few other things to keep in mind before making a final decision.
- Push vs. self-propelled mowers. If you have difficulty choosing, here are our thoughts. Push mowers tend to be more affordable. However, self-propelled models tend to be easier to maneuver. This is very useful for those who have a large lawn or live on a sloped lot. All-wheel drive offers the best traction on slopes, followed by rear-wheel drive. Front-wheel drive, which is standard on most models, is still well suited for flat parcels.
- Yard size. Taking the size of your yard into account will help you find the perfect walk-behind mower. Gas self-propelled mowers will be best for larger yards, while push mowers (electric or gas) are better for small yards.
- Washout port. Even the best lawn mowers require regular maintenance. You should clean the underside of your mower after each use. A washout port can make this task much easier. It can fit a hose connection and allow you to clean the mower without having to tip it.
- Electric start. All electric mowers start with a push of a button. Gas models, on the other hand, require some yanking of the pull cord.
- Folding handle. If you don’t have too much storage space, then look for a model with a folding or collapsing handle. These require less space to store.
- Upright storage. You can store almost all electric models vertically. Some gas models feature engine seals that will prevent gas and oil from leaking out when stored upright.
- Uniform wheels. You may be tempted to buy a mower with larger rear wheels. But, don’t. Mowers with uniform wheels are much easier to maneuver.
- Interchangeable battery. Some manufacturers make string trimmers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, and even snowblowers that all accept the same battery as their lawn mowers. Keep this in mind when buying a second tool. Getting a model without a battery can help you save some money.
Best Lawn Mowers Guide: FAQs
How do I make sure to choose the best lawn mower?
As mentioned, there are multiple types of the best lawn mowers. What you need to know upfront is your garden size, your cutting needs, and your budget. Once you know this, you’ll be able to narrow down your choice. Then, the top product can be chosen by looking at its specific features and comparing it to other products.
- Learn How to Sharpen Your Lawn Mower Blade Like a Pro With These 8 Tips
- The 6 Best Garden Sprinklers For The Greenest Lawn
Should I get a gas-powered or an electric mower?
Many people find it hard to decide between gas-powered and electric mowers. The latter are a perfect choice for all those who have small yards, up to 10,000 square feet in size, mostly because even the best lawn mowers that run on batteries have a limited run time.
If you own a yard larger than 10,000 square feet, then you should get a gas-engine mower. These mowers are also an excellent choice for all those who have to tackle rugged cutting conditions, including mowing along an unruly edge. To be able to do this, you need torque. And, torque is what gas engine mowers do the best.
What is the difference between bagging, mulching, and side discharge?
The best lawn mowers mulch and bag, and some also have the ability to side discharge. In general, an average homeowner will be best served by a mower with strong mulching performance.
Mulching is a process during which grass clippings are recut repeatedly and discharged under the deck. As the clippings decay, they return nitrogen to the soil. This improves grass health. Another benefit of mulching is that you won’t have to dump clippings and compost them.
Bagging clippings, on the other hand, will leave your lawn surface as clean as it gets. This is the perfect choice for those who hate getting clippings into their home.
Mowers that have a side discharge mode simply shoot clippings out the side of the deck. This feature is useful in tall grass or when mowing non-lawn areas—the windrows formed by the cuttings are ugly and can kill stripes of lawn if left in place.
And that’s it! Now you’re equipped to choose one of the best lawn mowers from our list that will suit all your needs. However, if you don’t think that any of these mowers will make your life easier and mowing less of a chore, then we have one more recommendation for you. Check out our list of best robot lawn mowers that will do all the hard work for you!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.