Have you decided to commit to creating a home gym? Working out from home brings plenty of convenience and benefits, but creating your own space can be the biggest challenge. You may be wondering what kinds of things you should fill your home gym with, where to set it up, and how to make the most of your space. Of course, your home gym will be built based on how much space you have and what resources you can invest in it. Fortunately, there are enough key elements that anyone can ensure is in their gym. So, here is a guide to making sure that you have the best home gym setup!
Table of Contents
The Best Home Gym Setup
- Fill most of the floor space with a gym mat
- Have a Bluetooth speaker
- Keep heavier equipment and machines to the sides and corners
- Have storage space in the home gym
- Keep a whiteboard or calendar in your home gym
- Have an air circulation fan
Fill most of the floor space with a gym mat
- ✅ PROTECTS YOUR FLOORS - Our interlocking puzzle mats keep your...
- ✅ FREE ADHESIVE STICKERS/DOUBLE SIDED ADHESIVE TAPE – We've...
- ✅ SAFEGUARDS YOUR KID'S PLAY AREA - Use our thick floor mats to...
A gym mat or good quality yoga mat is an invaluable piece in building the best home gym setup. Not only does it help protect your floors from sneaker marks, equipment scuffs, and general dirt, but it helps your workouts, too! Doing your exercises on a soft, padded space can make the workout easier and help keep you more protected. If you have a large space, an interlocking puzzle mat can make sure that you cover all the important areas.
Having a gym mat can help protect your floor and the equipment from any damage if you have bulky exercise equipment and heavy weights.
Your gym mat should be at least large enough that you can lie down and still have some space nearby. Having some space that’s not covered by a gym mat can come in handy if you ever want to use the difference in the cushioning for specific workouts. So, if you have enough space, consider leaving enough space to sit mat-free comfortably.
Have a Bluetooth speaker
- Compact And Powerful: Super-portable Bluetooth speaker delivers...
- Unstoppable Music: Micro SD support and AUX capability provide endless...
- Extensive Connectivity: Utilizes Bluetooth 4.0 technology for seamless...
Sure, you can use headphones or use the speaker from your smartphone while working out. However, this will typically be too quiet, or it may get in the way of your workout. By having a speaker that’s designated to your workout space, you can blast your music loud enough to help get you in the zone. You also won’t have to worry about any pesky wires, or a headphone dropping out of your ear mid-run.
Keep heavier equipment and machines to the sides and corners
Buying fitness machines and heavy equipment is a great way to make your home gym the best that it can be. Things like treadmills and exercise machines give you the opportunity to have high-intensity cardio sessions, while heavy weights can do more for strength building than anything else.
When you decide where to put all these pieces of equipment, you’ll want to make sure that they are near the side of the room or in the corner of the area. This will ensure that you have enough space on the floor in your home gym to do workouts that don’t include the equipment.
A treadmill or similar piece of equipment will be heavy. Once you decide where it goes, you may have it stuck there for quite some time. If you have a wide enough space in the middle of your room, you won’t have to worry about running out of space to do equipment-free workouts. The best home gym setup will be one that gives you enough space to do everything you want to!
Have storage space in the home gym
- Ideal starter pack for all storage needs; pack contains 2 x 84 + 1 x...
- Made with 100 Percent polypropylene, these boxes are designed to be...
- Strong, stackable, storage box, complete with lockable lids
Smaller items like resistance bands, light weights, or a foam roller are easy to leave lying around. Keep a small storage space or box dedicated to putting smaller items in at the end of every workout. Regardless of how often you use your home gym space, keeping it clean is important!
In addition to storage for gym-specific items, you may want to consider having a small table or area to leave your everyday items. This will include your cellphone, wallet, and other personal items that you may bring into the fitness space. Leaving everything in the same space will help ensure that nothing gets lost. It’s also a great place to set your water bottle during your workouts!
Keep a whiteboard or calendar in your home gym
- Overall size: 90CM x 60CM ( frame included); Writing surface size:...
- Smooth & durable magnetic writing surface, easily drywipe with all...
- Silver finished aluminium frame, ABS plastic corner with screw-fixing...
Having the best home gym setup is about more than just the equipment. You’re in there for a reason, so you’ll want to make sure you’re keeping track of your goals!
Having a whiteboard or calendar will help keep you motivated. You can write down your daily, weekly, or monthly fitness goals and check them each time you start and end your workout.
Whiteboards can also be used to keep track of reps and sets during your exercise routine, allowing you to be even more efficient.
Have an air circulation fan
- High Velocity air flow - 70W durable copper motor with 5 powerful...
- Wall Mountable or Freestanding - Its 3.8kg weight and carry handle...
- 3 speed settings - Choose between High, medium or Low speed for...
Getting too warm during your workout is an easy way to make you want to stop exercising quicker. You’re bound to get hot while using your home gym, no matter how breathable your workout outfit is. If you don’t have an air conditioner in your home gym, an air circulation fan is a must-have.
The best way to stay motivated is to stay comfortable. You may already be feeling like giving up because you’re exhausted or pushed to your limits, but you don’t want to feel like stopping because of a controllable force like heat!
Have a better idea of what the best home gym setup looks like? Now it’s time to find out how to best use it!
- The Home Gym Essentials Checklist: 10 Things For The Best Setup
- Best Home Gym Equipment: 10 MUST Have Pieces of Gym Kit!
You can certainly work out without making a whole home gym. However, your fitness goals will be much easier to reach when you commit to having the best home gym setup that you can create! Filling your home gym with all the important features like a fan, storage space, a speaker, and more will help you be able to spend time thinking about your workout rather than the organization of the room. So, get that gym ready and get to exercising!