Setting up your own home gym is the ultimate way to boost your fitness game. It will save you money on gym memberships, help keep you motivated, and dramatically reduce your commute time for workouts. While it’s filled with benefits, there are also some questions that you may have, like when putting together your home gym essentials checklist. Fortunately, we’ve got you covered! We have a list for you to make sure that you’ve got everything you need for the perfect home gym setup. So, here’s a home gym essentials checklist so that you can work out without worry.
Table of Contents
The Home Gym Essentials Checklist
- Pull Up Bar
- Resistance Bands
- Medicine Ball
- Air Rower
- Gym Mat
No home gym essentials checklist can be complete without a good set of dumbbells. They’re used for an endless amount of exercises, building muscles in innovative or classic ways.
Your dumbbell set should have enough variety in weights so that you can use them for different exercises. Additionally, buying weights that are just above your strength level can be useful when you’ve improved your strength. If your home gym is shared with other family members, they’re also easy to adapt per person.
2. A Kettlebell
- Precision-engineered using only premium-grade iron ore
- Colour coded handles
- Powder-coated black finish
You’ll want to ensure that your home gym has enough free weights that provide unique workouts. Kettlebells are easy to store and keep in your space. They also offer the opportunity for unique workout movements that will improve your exercise routine.
The kettlebell can be used in plenty of workouts. Some of the most common kettlebell exercises are swings, thrusters, squats, and farmer’s walks. You can purchase a kettlebell at almost any weight, or buy a set that can be used for different workouts.
3. A Pull Up Bar
- Strengthen and tone chest, arms, shoulders, back, abs and more!
- For pull ups and chin ups, sit ups, push ups, and dips
- Attaches and removes from door frame in seconds
Pull up bars are so easy to fit into any room. So, there’s no reason not to keep them in your home gym!
Doing a pull up can be a tricky and challenging workout. It may take a while to be able to do them with ease, but it’s a worthy challenge! If you have trouble doing a full pull up, you can also use resistance bands to help you get there.
4. Resistance Bands
- 5 Different Resistance Levels: A set of resistance bands includes five...
- Safe and Durable: Made of premium quality latex material, the...
- Perfect Portability: With a carrying bag, it is very easy and...
As mentioned above, resistance bands can help assist you in workouts like pull ups. They’re also great for other workouts, too! They take up minimal space and are typically very budget-friendly, so there’s no reason not to add one on your home gym essentials checklist!
Resistance bands work by providing more resistance for your muscles to work against. So, your muscles will have to work even harder to fight the tension that’s coming from the bands.
- How to Use Exercise Bands at Home – 12 Exercises You Can Do Today!
- How to do Morning Exercise at Home – Our Guide to Getting Up and Moving
5. A Medicine Ball
- AIR FILLED MEDICINE BALLS: 1kg, 2kg, 3kg, 4kg, 5kg, 6kg,7kg, 8kg, 9kg,...
- VERSATILE: Medicine Balls are used in all kinds of Sports and Fitness,...
- WORKOUT: Medicine Balls help you to make your exercises more...
Like the kettlebell, medicine balls are great for plenty of different workouts. They can help you work your arms, shoulders, or even your core strength. However, when you pick a weight for your medicine ball, it’s typically recommended to get something lighter. This is due to their frequent use in speed and petition workouts, rather than just pure strength.
Medicine balls are great for workouts including crunches, shoulder presses, squats, and more. If you choose to buy a lighter and softer medicine ball, you can also use it for throwing and catching exercises.
6. A Barbell
- ✅𝟮𝗜𝗡𝟭: The AH300 dumbbell combines two functions in one...
- ✅𝗦𝗔𝗙𝗘𝗧𝗬: Our dumbbells with anti-slip handles...
- ✅𝗛𝗜𝗚𝗛 𝗤𝗨𝗔𝗟𝗜𝗧𝗬: The set includes...
Barbells are a staple in any gym, including your home gym. They can be used for working out your upper and lower body, too. So, whether you want to do squats, lifting, or any other barbell workout, you have options!
This equipment allows you to add your own weights to the ends. This means that your barbell will be able to stick with you through your training, no matter how much strength you build! Their versatility also makes it a smart choice for anyone who is new to weight lifting.
7. A Treadmill
- FITNESS REVOLUTION: Use our DFT200 to go for a relaxing stroll while...
- HEALTH: Moving while you work prevents illnesses that occur if you sit...
- WORK BETTER: Your concentration level goes up while your stress level...
Treadmills are another essential in many gyms. For the fitness enthusiast who is all about weight lifting, the treadmill can be used for warm-ups, cooldowns, or just to provide some variety in your workouts. The treadmill is even more essential for those who are fond of cardio training.
Treadmills also aren’t just for running. While running on the treadmill is a common use, they can also be used for long, brisk walks, or uphill walking.
8. An Air Rower
- Indoor rowing is an effective full-body, low-impact workout. Flywheel...
- Includes the Performance Monitor 5, giving you accurate, comparable...
- 35.5cm seat height, nickel-plated chain, adjustable footrests and...
Rowing machines are the perfect full-body workout machine. Lower resistance settings give you a great warmup, getting your heart pumping and blood flowing. They can also be used to build muscle, working your back, arms, and shoulders when resistance is high enough.
This piece of equipment is relatively small and quiet, making an excellent choice for your home gym set up.
9. A Gym Mat
- Ideal for different workout and gym exercise, such as Yoga, Pilates,...
- Good elasticity and high tensile strength, can reduce the pain...
- Waterproof and dust-proof, easy to clean.
It’s easy to get caught up in planning your machines and weights. However, you can’t forget the basics! A gym mat or yoga mat is a home gym essential. It makes many exercises easier, giving you a comfortable space to move.
These mats are frequently used for things like crunches, stretching, and other workouts that don’t require any additional equipment. They also provide you with extra cushion between the floor and your feet, which is important for anyone recovering from an injury.
10. A Speaker or Stereo System
If you want your home gym to feel like the real deal, you can’t go around with your headphones in. Having a speaker or stereo system in your gym will help keep your motivation high and your workouts intense.
A good set of speakers will give you the freedom to play music straight from your phone, without worrying about constantly fixing your earbuds.
Feeling prepared to build your home gym yet? It’s hard to go wrong when building a gym in your own space. However, you still need to make sure that you’ve got down all the goods. This home gym essentials checklist will make sure that you have everything important. Still, it’s important to take a look at your fitness goals and determine if any special equipment is needed.