What Does a Diffuser on Hair Dryer Do? Our Guide
Table of Contents
Image courtesy of Unsplash
There is an astonishing amount of different hair tools on the market for consumers to pick and choose from, which can lead to confusion and stress when it comes down to selecting the right products for you. Most people own a hair dryer, and use it when they’re freshly showered and in a rush to get ready, or when they’re just plain tired of having dripping wet hair. But what does a diffuser on hair dryer do?
Unfortunately, many people with frizzy or dry hair avoid blow-drying at all costs, because they are under the assumption that the hair dryer will just make their hair even more difficult to handle. Whether you’re one of these people or not, you are in luck thanks to a single product. Make your hair drying experience more enjoyable and beneficial with the use of a hair dryer diffuser.
Best Selling Hair Diffusers in 2020
|1||Anself Universal Diffuser Adjustable Hair Dryer Diffuser Nozzle...||605 Reviews||£10.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||UUCOLOR Universal Hair Diffuser Suitable for 1.4 in to 2.6 in...||1,391 Reviews||£10.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||BaByliss Curl Dry Hair Dryer||1,035 Reviews||£22.70||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Red Hot 37010 Professional Hair Styling Ultra 2200W Hair Dryer...||1,071 Reviews||£15.49||Buy on Amazon|
|5||BaByliss Platinum Diamond 2300 Diffuser Hair Dryer||556 Reviews||£38.50||Buy on Amazon|
What is a Hair Dryer Diffuser?
A hair dryer diffuser is essentially an attachment that clips or snaps on to the nozzle of your hair dryer. The diffuser is rounded, with several spike-like pieces coming out of it. It diffuses the air that is released from the hair dryer over a larger area so that it spreads the air more evenly throughout your hair, which lessens the effect that the heat has on it. There are multiple different types of diffusers to choose from that connect to your hair dryer, based on the type of hair you have and on your needs.
What Does a Diffuser on Hair Dryer Do?
The diffuser works by transforming one current into multiple currents, creating a smoother airflow. There is a constant flow of air that is dispensed out of the hair dryer, which allows hair to dry more naturally than it would with just the hair dryer alone. This minimizes the likelihood of your hair becoming more frizzy and fluffy, and will lead to effortless waves and curls that stay intact throughout the day.
In addition to your hair not becoming frizzy and fluffy, there are more added benefits to using a hair dryer diffuser. With the even spread of heat throughout your hair, there will be less heat damage that occurs. The spikes on the diffuser separate your hair while drying with the tool, which resembles the air drying process that your hair is already used to. Your hair will have more volume, bounce, and body because of this, and will feel softer as well.
- What Do Hair Dryer Attachments Do? A Guide To The Perfect Dry
- A Complete Guide on How to Use a Hot Air Brush to Curl Your Hair
Types of Hair Dryer Diffusers
There are a variety of hair dryer diffusers in the market for you to choose from, depending on your hair type and your needs. Some options include the cup diffuser, which is the most popular diffuser out there. This type of diffuser will dry your hair quickly by dispersing the air evenly, while also diminishing frizz and defining curls.
There are also hand diffusers, which are a wonderful option if you already have tight curls and are not looking for more body. It still prevents frizzing from occurring, and adds shine to your hair as the air releases from the diffuser in various directions through the “fingers” on the hand diffuser.
If you have a fragile curl pattern and are searching for a tool that is soft and mild on your hair, the sock diffuser is your best bet. It adds some volume to your hair while combating frizz as the air gently flows through the diffuser.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to add some body to your naturally luscious curls, a collapsable diffuser is an amazing choice. It expands to a full diffuser, and condenses into a flat surface that facilitates the airflow from the hair dryer.
How to Use a Hair Dryer Diffuser
Now that we’ve answered the question of what does a diffuser on hair dryer do, it’s time to fully understand how to use it.
- Wash and condition your hair: It is important that you fully wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner before using your hair dryer diffuser. By doing this, your hair will be more moisturized and less frizzy than if your hair was not washed properly.
- Get excess water out of your hair: Right after you finish washing your hair, be sure to squeeze as much water out of your hair as possible with your hands. After this, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair before blow drying it.
- Apply hair products: You can now add your hair styling products to your hair before drying. You can use smoothing serum, leave-in conditioner, heat protectant, or hair styling cream or gel depending on what you prefer, based off of your hair type.
- Set up your hair dryer diffuser: Attach the diffuser to the nozzle of your hair dryer if it is not already on there. Then set the dryer to a low setting, so that your hair does not become tangled.
- Section your hair into the diffuser: Start by dividing your hair into sections, then put a small section of hair into the diffuser. Turn on the hair dryer and slowly bring the hair dryer toward your head, ensuring that your hair is in the diffuser the entire time. Pause multiple times for a few seconds to permit that part of your hair to dry, allowing waves or curls to stay intact.
- Alternate sections of hair: After using the diffuser for about 30 seconds on each section, alternate to the next one. You can choose to clip each section out of the way that you’ve already dried, so you can use the diffuser on all of your hair equally without any overlap. This ensures that your hair is evenly dried and wavy.
- Wrap it up: Once your hair is dry, you can apply hair products such as mousse or hairspray to keep your hair in place and hold your waves. Apply it by lightly scrunching it into your hair with your hands, so that your hair will have volume and curls that will last after you are finished.
Tips for Using a Diffuser on Different Hair Types
Every person’s hair is unique, and they all react differently to hair products and tools. If you have naturally straight hair, it is beneficial to use a hair styling product that adds volume to your hair before drying, and to completely dry your hair with the diffuser so that your waves don’t fall later on.
For wavy hair, it is helpful to use a hair styling product for beach waves that will aid in holding your waves in place, and to move the diffuser up and down not side to side to avoid frizzing.
For naturally curly hair, it is crucial to use a hair styling product that holds your curls and prevents your hair from frizzing, and ensure that you don’t fully dry hair hair with the hair dryer and diffuser so that your curls won’t be so tight once you are finished.
- 9 Easy Steps: How To Curl Short Hair With Straighteners
- How To Curl Your Hair With Rollers in 6 Easy Steps
Regardless of what type of hair you have or what your ideal hairstyle is, using a hair dryer diffuser can help you get the beautiful hair you dream of. Using a diffuser is an incredible way to dry your hair while also adding volume and body, and reducing frizz and fluff. Be sure to attach a diffuser to your hair dryer the next time you are styling your hair for amazing results.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.