Ladies, we’ve all been there. It’s date night with your special someone, and you can’t wait to get home and make yourself look perfect. And of course, nothing seems to be going your way. First, your meeting at work goes late. Then you have to pick up the kids from football practice, cook dinner, shower, change, and wait for the babysitter all in time to make your 8:00 reservation at your favorite restaurant. How are you going to have time to dry and style your hair?
Fortunately, that’s where the hot air brush comes in handy. Its round, rotating brush head will simultaneously dry your hair while adding volume in the form of curls and waves. Your hair will be date night ready in no time, and your man is going to fall in love with you all over again.
In addition to helping get your hair looking fabulous when you’re in a bit of a bind, hot air brushes can do so much more for your hair than just a traditional flat iron or curling rod. Let’s take a look at some of the basic functions of a hot air brush in order to help you see why it would be the best fit:
- Convenience: As we mentioned before, a hot air brush allows you to style your hair while it is still damp, saving you the time and trouble of brow drying it beforehand.
- Wide Variety: Hot air brushes can be used on almost any type of hair. Average, thinning, and even damaged hair can styled to perfection with the use of a hot air brush. Thick and curly hair work as well, provided you have a little extra time to spend on your styling.
- Less Risk: Unlike curling rods or flat irons, hot air brushes work at lower temperatures. Not only does this mean they take less time to heat up to their optimal temperature, but the lower heat helps prevent your hair from becoming too damaged.
- Costly, But Worth It: Hot air brushes do tend to run a little more pricey than flat irons, but they offer a much wider variety of choices. Instead of being stuck with just one simple style, hot air brushes allow you to smooth your hair, create volume, and even add shine for that professional, salon-style look
- Perfect for Those Off Days: Sometimes our hair can feel flat or boring on the days we don’t shampoo it. But with a hot air brush, we can add a little extra flair to our look on those off days instead of hiding our locks underneath hats or pulling them up into ponytails.
Now that you’ve seen what a good hot air brush can do for you, you’re probably asking yourself, “With all these products and choices out here, how do I know which one is best for me?” Well, fear not! We’ve compiled a list of the Top 9 hot air brushes currently out there, and we’re going to break down each and every one of them to help make your decision a little bit easier:
|1||Charminer Hot Air Brush One-Step 2 in 1 Hair Dryer & Volumizer...||18 Reviews||£24.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||REVLON RVHA6017UK Tangle Free Hot Air Styler||543 Reviews||£12.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||REVLON Pro Collection Salon One Step Hair Dryer and Volumiser||473 Reviews||£59.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||BaByliss Flawless Volume Hot Air Styler||115 Reviews||£25.00||Buy on Amazon|
|5||BaByliss Big Hair 50 mm Rotating Hot Air Styling Brush||772 Reviews||from £57.00||Buy on Amazon|
|6||BaByliss 2777U Big Hair Rotating Styler - 42 mm||2,001 Reviews||£39.96||Buy on Amazon|
|7||Hot Air Brush,ATCRINICT One Step Hair Dryer & Volumizer Styler...||16 Reviews||£25.91||Buy on Amazon|
|8||Remington AS7051 Volume and Curl Air Styler, Black/Pink||786 Reviews||£24.07||Buy on Amazon|
|9||BUDDYGO Hot Air Brush One Step Hair Dryer & Volumizer Hair Style...||42 Reviews||£29.99||Buy on Amazon|
Without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the best hot air brushes in 2019!
Our first product is the Frizz Control Blow Dry Styler by Nicky Clarke. First available in June of 2014, this styling tool has a unique look which makes it easy to use, helping to maximize your control and minimize your frizz.
The NHA045 features a high ionic output that allows you to easily control and manage your frizz while styling your hair to perfection. With 1200 watts powering this handy little tool, you’ll be sporting salon-ready hair in the comfort of your own bathroom.
In addition to its power, the NHA045 also comes with four attachments:
- A large 38mm thermal brush to help add volume to your hair
- A smaller 20mm bristle brush to give your ends a little twist and curl
- A concentrator nozzle to help direct the airflow
- A straightener attachment to help with blow dry styling
These attachments not only make the NHA045 one of the most versatile styling tools out there, but it helps you have more control over your style and results in a better look and a happier you!
Features & Specs
In addition to the attachments mentioned above, the NHA045 also features two different heat and two different speed settings in order to accommodate all different types of hair. Lower heat helps to style thin or fine hair without causing damage, while a higher heat setting can create curls and waves in thicker, coarser hair while keeping frizz to a manageable minimum.
Additionally, this hot air brush comes with a cool shot button in order to help finalize your style. Most of us have a tendency to blast our hair with hot air in order to get it to dry quickly and efficiently without realizing that it’s actually the cooler temperatures that help keep that style in place. By using the cool shot button on hair dryer, that extra blast of cool hair will keep your style looking great for even longer.
And finally, the NHA045 is also equipped with a 3m, tangle-free, salon-style cord. This will allow you easy maneuverability throughout the bathroom as you dry and style your hair. The cord is designed to move with you and will never get knotted or tangled up.
We have definitely not been disappointed by this product. Not only do we love the variety of styles and choices we have at our fingertips, but we also praise the ease we’ve found in learning how to use the product, not to mention the fact that the different heat settings ensure that our hair is not damaged or burned. The different attachments work for different styles, allowing us to try something new every day.
The negatives mostly center around the lifespan of the product. While we do very much love our Nicky Clarke hot air brush, several of us have found ourselves needing to replace the product every 1-2 years. Also, over time, the heat settings tend to be more faulty, resulting in damage to the brush heads and even to our own hair.
As we’ve mentioned several times, if you’re looking for variety, convenience, and ease, then this is the product for you! The different attachments and multiple heat settings allow this product to work with almost any length or style of hair. The majority of customers have nothing but nice things to say about the product, and many have even recommended or purchased one for their friends and family.
Pros & Cons:
Next up on our list is the 3-in-1 Ceramic Straightening Hair Brush by MHU. This hot air brush provides a variety of tools in one convenient package that will help save you time, space, AND money!
Just as its name suggests, the MHU 3-in-1 is three styling tools all in one wand:
- Hair Straightener – The “straight” button on the device will allow you to straighten your hair, smoothing out frizz and providing a sleek, shiny look to your ‘do.
- Curling Wand – By pressing the “curl” button and clamping the brush closed, wrap the bristles around your hair, allowing them to sit in the heat for roughly thirty seconds, and finally releasing for long, whispy curls
- Hot Brush – The outside is lined with comb teeth, which can be used to brush out hair, making it easier to curl and straighten.
Features and Specs
The MHU 3-in-1 is not only big on saving you time and money, but is also prided on being extremely easy to use.
The device uses professional PTC technology inside the plates which helps to heat the brush instantly and evenly. The ceramic-coated plates are heat-resistant and won’t be damaged by the product’s rising temperatures. Additionally, it also has a 40-minute auto shut-off feature, leaving behind the days of wondering “Did I leave the straightener on?”
The 30mm barrel ceramic tourmaline ion plates help to straighten even the frizziest of hair into a sleek and shiny style in a fraction of the time it takes with other hot air brushes.
And finally, the 3-in-1 is manufactured to fit any hair style. With 21 temperature settings ranging from 100-200 degrees C, long hair, short hair, thin hair, or thick hair can be easily transformed into a style you’ll love.
We can’t say enough about how much we love our 3-in-1’s. It’s incredibly convenient having all the tools you need right there in one wand, and we love that everything is offered at such a great, low price. Also, because everything comes on the wand itself, there are less accessories or attachments to worry about, making the MHU easy to carry with when traveling.
The cons for this product focus more on the bristles of the hair brush. We have noticed them getting them caught in our hair, particularly those of us with thicker locks, and were forced to cut the brush out or risk breaking it to remove it.
Overall, the consensus on the MHU 3-in-1 is almost exclusively positive. It’s easy. It’s convenient. It’s rather inexpensive compared to similar products. And it’s like getting three styling tools all for the price of one. If you’re a busy woman always on the go, but still want to keep things fresh and fun, the 3-in-1 sounds right up your alley!
Pros & Cons
Are you torn between deciding if you have time to dry your hair AND volumize it? Well, fear not! With this little beauty from Revlon, you can do both with just one tool!
There’s no longer a need to try to juggle a brush in one hand a blow dryer in the other when the Revlon Pro Collection hot air brush can do both at the same time. Not only that, but its build and key accessories make styling easy while being gentle on your hair.
- Unique Design. The Revlon Pro Collection comes in a unique oval shape, designed to make it easier to smooth out your hair at all angles (even the back!) while creating volume all the way up to your roots and gorgeous curls at the ends.
- Tangle-Free Bristles. These flexible bristles effortlessly maneuver through your hair, turning even the frizziest of messes into a sleek and shiny style. The massaging ball tips are gentle on your scalp, helping to clear out tangles without pulling out your hair.
- Swivel Cord. This hot air brush comes with 2.5 meters of tangle-free cord, ensuring you have plenty of room to work your style without the fear of getting all wrapped up.
- 2 Heat Settings. Find the right temperature for your hair and blow dry it to perfection. Don’t forget to use the added cool shot button to help lock in your style for the day.
Features and Specs
The Revlon Pro Collection takes the hassle out of trying to simultaneously blow dry and comb your hair by putting both products into one. The unique shape of the tool will glide seamlessly through your hair, simultaneously drying and styling it for a salon-ready look. Not only that, but by eliminating the need for a second tool, your hair will be ready to go in almost half the time!
This brush is equipped with ionic technology that helps your hair dry faster without causing it damage. It’s perfect for those days when you don’t have nearly as much time to get ready as you’d like and can help you cut down on your prep time without having to sacrifice a decent hairdo.
Though this brush is a little bit pricier than some of the others, it does come with a 4 year guarantee. Not only that, but because of the efficient speed in which you’ll be able to dry and style your hair in the morning, you’ll have so much extra time to devote to more pleasurable activities.
If you’re still on the fence of whether or not the Revlon Pro Collection tool is right for you, just listen to what we are saying! It’s turned even our most novice of hair stylers into professionals after only a few uses! The brush is easy for anyone to maneuver and is leaving so many of us with a new-found confidence about our look. Additionally, we love how the inclusion of the dryer and the styler really helps to cut down on the time it takes.
However, it does seem to be rather limited to those of us with longer hair. Many of us who have shorter bobs or even some with medium-length styles have found it difficult to use. The larger body of the brush has a harder time styling shorter hair. It’s something to keep in mind, especially if you’re one who likes to keep her hair on the shorter side.
However, despite the fact that it seems more targeted towards a specific style of hair, there’s a reason the Revlon Pro Collection has been such a successful product. It’s easy. It’s effective. It’s time-saving. And it’s worth it. If you’re someone who’s constantly on the go, then the Revlon Pro Collection might be exactly what you need to turn that ordinary hairdo into an extraordinary one.
Pros & Cons
Have you found yourself looking through celebrity gossip magazines wondering how you could get a salon-style hairdo without having to actually go to the salon? If so, then the Babyliss Rotating Styling Brush may be just what you’re looking for.
Just as its name suggests, the Babyliss Big Hair brush features a multi-directional, rotating head that helps add celebrity-style volume, shape, and shine to your hair.
- Big size for big hair. The 50mm ceramic brush head is specially designed to add big volume to your style, turning dull, flat hair into a luscious wave of bouncy curls and gorgeous locks. Combine that with the 700w motor and you’ll soon have a salon-worthy look that is sure to be the envy of all your friends.
- Soft bristles for shine. The soft bristles of the brush are designed to carefully work through the hair as the brush rotates, gently eliminating knots and tangles, leaving your hair feeling smooth and looking shiny.
- Easy to control. The rotating head has the ability to spin clockwise or counterclockwise, controlled by just two large buttons right on the handle.
- Two heat settings. Not only does the brush rotate both ways, but it also features two heat settings in order to work better with different types of hair. Higher heat will cause the brush to spin faster, working through thicker hair; lower heat will spin the brush slower as it works through fine, delicate hair.
Features and Specs
The Babyliss Rotating Styling Brush wants to make it easy for anyone to have salon-ready hair regardless of type. The super ionic conditioning helps to create a frizz-free, blow-dry finish while the size of the brush assists in adding volume to your hair, making it look thicker and fuller than ever.
The two heat and rotation settings help you maintain a total styling control. As mentioned earlier, the faster, hotter setting is for thicker hair. The bristles will rotate through your locks, disentangling them and helping give them a sleek and full look. The slower, cooler setting is meant for those with thinner and more delicate hair. The brush will still be able to work through the tangles without the risk of damaging your hair.
Additionally, there is an extra part to the cool setting where the brush head doesn’t rotate at all. This is meant to be used when you are done styling your hair in order to help lock in your style and keep it looking good for the rest of the day.
And finally, as with all Babyliss products, the Rotating Styling Brush is built to last. It’s rear filter is on a hinge which makes it easy to clean and maintain in order to have an optimum performance every single time.
We are raving about the added volume we are seeing to our hair after using this product. Even those of us with shorter bobs, who have expressed difficulty in trying to style our hair, are surprised by how thick and full our hair looks after using the Rotating Brush. We’ve even noticed that our hair stays in place after being outside on a rather windy day. We look and feel as though we just got back from the salon when in fact, it was only the comfort of our own homes.
However, despite the guarantee that it is “built to last,” there are several of us who reported having our rotating brush break on us within the first year. Those of us who have naturally thicker, frizzier hair have found the brush difficult to use, doing little to tame our frizz.
If you’re tired of sporting the same, straight, flat look every day, then give the Rotating Styling Brush a try. Add some volume to those locks and finally give yourself that salon-ready, celebrity-worthy hairstyle you’ve always dreamed of.
Pros & Cons
If you’re looking for something a little less complicated, then allow me to turn your attention towards the Babyliss Pro-Ceramic Hot Brush. At only 13mm, this brush is much smaller in comparison to some of the other models, which makes it perfect for carrying around in a bag or a purse for when you need to do those quick touch-ups or last minute styling tricks.
The Pro-Ceramic Hot Brush has several features that can help you with any of your styling needs. The brush heats up quickly, minimizing your wait time and thereby maximizing your styling time.
- Ceramic-coated barrel. To leave hair feeling soft and smooth.
- Non-slip handle. To give you full control while you’re styling.
- Long, tangle-free cord. Swivels to allow you vast and easy movement.
- Soft brush bristles. These are replaceable which gives your brush a much longer life.
- Multi-voltage. In addition to being more travel-size, you can use the brush in multiple countries throughout the world.
Features and Specs
The ceramic-coated barrel helps the hot brush to heat up quickly and completely. The heat is then evenly distributed throughout your hair as your straighten and style, leaving it feeling soft and smooth.
The bristles are soft and will work through your hair easily without pulling, tangling, or damaging the roots. Additionally, the bristles are replaceable, saving you the trouble of having to buy a whole new head or even a whole new tool altogether.
The Pro-Ceramic Hot Brush comes in three different sizes: 13mm, 15mm, and 18mm. Find what size works best for you and your hairstyle. Optimize your ability to curl, volumize, and shape your hair to perfection.
The verdict is in: we love how quick the Pro-Ceramic Hot Brush gets up to optimal temperature! Because of its small size, it heats quickly, allowing us to style our hair in a fraction of the time it would normally take. The skinnier brush is also more effective for those of us with shorter or thinner hair. We’re able to start volumizing at the roots, giving even a short bob a thicker, fuller look.
However, because of its small size and how rapidly it heats up, many of us have found that it can sometimes get too hot too fast. Several have reported burnt hands and fingers after only having the brush plugged in for a short amount of time while others have stated that the device easily overheats. It also doesn’t seem to be too effective to those with longer hair.
This smaller brush would be a good companion for the traveler. It’s cheap, lightweight, and quick and easy to use. If you’re one who likes to seek out adventure wherever adventure takes you, try bringing along a Pro-Ceramic Hot Brush with you to make sure your hair is just as ready as you are.
Pros & Cons
If you’re tired of split ends or hair that looks dull and plain, then perhaps you should check out the Hot Air Styler Keratin Shine and Volume from Babyliss. This hot air brush uses super ionic technology to help lock in moisture and leave your hair looking healthier than ever before.
The Hot Air Styler features 1000W of power and two heat settings. Additionally, it comes with three interchangeable attachments all used to help with total style versatility:
- A 50mm size brush head
- A 38mm size brush head
- A styling nozzle
Features and Specs
The Hot Air Styler’s main focus is to help keep your hair looking healthy by locking in its own natural moisture without appearing too greasy. The different heat settings allow the brush to effortlessly work through any style of hair with ease, and the variable temperature control gives you the power to try out different settings in order to find the one that works best with your particular style.
The three different attachments help to shape the tool into exactly what you need for your hair. If you have thicker, coarser hair, then the 50mm brush will be your friend, helping keep up that volume and eliminating unwanted frizz. For thinner, more delicate hair, try out the 38mm brush to provide a gentler touch to more sensitive areas. And finally, the styling nozzle should be used to finalize your look and keep those curls locked into place.
Once again, a bit on the pricey side, but the Hot Air Styler comes with a 3 year guarantee and is built to last just like other Babyliss products. The higher price will seem worth it when you have an efficient tool that can last and last.
We love the versatility of this brush and how easy it is to use with a wide variety of hair styles. Those of us with long hair, short hair, thin hair, and thick hair alike have all expressed how easy the Hot Air Styler is to use in order to help tame our hair and give us a style that we love.
Not a whole lot of negative thoughts towards the Hot Air Styler. Some of us have found the brush to be too big and awkward to use. But overall, the results have been nothing but positive, giving the Hot Air Styler a high ranking with us and others alike.
No matter what kind of hair you have, the Hot Air Styler makes it easy to curl, volumize, and style your hair to perfection. This would be a good tool for beginners. Try out the different attachments and see what works best for you. You’ll be giving yourself an amazing style in no time!
Pros & Cons
Babyliss is back on the list with yet another great product to help style and volumize your hair. The 2777U features a rotating brush head that’s easy to use and simultaneously dries your hair while lifting and shining it for a full, sleek look in the end.
- Rotating styling brush for maximum volume
- Designed to add salon-style shine and smoothness
- Several heat settings for total control
- Built to last
Features and Specs
The Big Hair Rotating Styler combines the power and heat of a blow dryer with a rotating brush in order to create a full, volumized look. It’s similar to the technique used by professional hairdressers. Plus, with its 700W power, you no longer have to wait for your hair to be completely dry in order to start styling. The Big Hair Rotating Styler allows you to start working when your hair is still damp.
The 42mm ceramic barrel adds a fullness to your hair while you use it, maximizing the volume and giving a body to your style. The soft bristles rotate throughout your hair, helping to disentangle any snares, while the built-in ionic generator neutralizes static particles in the air, cutting down on frizz and leaving your hair looking smooth and shiny.
Drying and styling come together in this hot air brush with the use of its dual heat settings. Start out with the higher heat on your damp hair to help dry it before switching to the lower heat to help lock in your style. Not only do the settings control the heat, but the speed of the brush’s rotation will change as well. The brush will rotate faster at a higher setting and slower at the lower one.
And of course, as is custom with Babyliss products, the Big Hair Rotating Styler is built to last. It’s design makes it easy to clean and maintain, and it comes with a clear plastic case to prevent the bristles from becoming damaged overtime.
So many of us have praised the results we’ve seen after using the Big Hair Rotating Styler. It’s so easy to use that we are styling our hair like professionals and receiving compliments from our friends and family alike. This product allows us to get a salon-style look from the comfort of our own homes.
The biggest cons with this product deal with the lifetime of the product itself. We have noticed that the bristles on the brush have been breaking easily, and others have had difficulty with the different heat settings. Although, it is possible to prevent these issues if the product is properly taken care of.
For a considerably cheaper price than other similar products, the Big Hair Rotating Styler is an easy way to help maximize your volume and shine. Not only that, but you can use the product without having to worry about blow-drying your hair first, saving you time and money in the long run.
Pros & Cons
Do you want to use the tools the pros are using but are afraid of breaking the bank? Look no further than the Deep Barrel Hair Waver by Toni & Guy. This 32mm styling tool has been used backstage at numerous professional events, including London’s Fashion Week! For over 50 years, Toni & Guy have been at the forefront of the fashion industry, and now they can help you get a professional-looking style all on your own!
- 32 mm ultra deep plates
- 200 C variable temperature
- Ceramic color lock technology
- 3 meter salon cord
Features and Specs
You know that wavy, beach look that you often associate with white sands and clear, bright blue waters? The Deep Barrel Hair Waver can give you a look just like that with the use of its 32 mm ultra deep plates. The shape of the barrel clamps down on your hair and helps to form it into a loose, wavy look that will have you throwing on your sunglasses and flip flops as you finalize your summer look.
No more waiting around for your styler to reach its optimal temperature. The Deep Barrel Hair Waver heats up in a matter of seconds. It comes with a variable temperature control, reaching all the way up to 200 degrees C, maximizing its versatility with a variety of different hair types and styles.
And if you’re worried about the heat ruining your fresh, new hair color, worry no more! The Deep Barrel Hair Waver comes with ceramic tourmaline plates infused with color-lock technology, ensuring that your color stays just the way you want it while you shine, smooth, and stylize your hair to perfection.
We love how easy it is to curl our hair quickly and effortlessly with the Deep Barrel Hair Waver. Toni & Guy have gifted us a product that gives us the perfect wavy hairstyle so many other products fail to provide. Not only that, but our curls and waves are even sticking around for several days afterwards, leaving us with a fuller, thicker style.
However, the use of extra products like mousse and hairspray seem to be key in keeping the waves and curls looking good. We have noticed our hair looked more frizzy than wavy at times after using the product.
With summer just around the corner, it’s time to start working on your new look. In addition to sundresses and cute, chic sandals, try out a wavy style to your hair that will make you the center of attention at the beach or local pool.
Pros & Cons
Closing out our list is yet another product from the fashionistas at Babyliss. This particular hot air brush comes from the Babyliss 6000 series, which is the highest of the Babyliss Pro Ranges. It is one of the most popular of all hot air brushes sold even still and houses numerous features when compared to other brands.
- 34mm fixed thermal brush
- Ceramic-coated barrel
- 3 heat/speed settings and 1 cool setting
- Salon-length swivel cord
Features and Specs
The size of the brush is a perfect fit for just about anyone. The 34mm brush is big enough to work through longer, thicker hair, but is also not so big that it can still be used for those sporting shorter styles. Additionally, the brush bristles contain epoxy tips to help them easily maneuver and navigate through a variety of hair styles.
The ceramic-coated barrel comes complete with an instant ionic conditioning system. This system helps to lock in moisture in your hair in order to keep it looking fresh and healthy.
To add to the versatility, the brush comes complete with three heat and speed settings. Higher heat coupled with faster rotational speeds allow the brush to work through even the thickest of hair, while the cooler, slower settings are more suited for thinner, delicate hair. The brush also contains a cool setting to help finalize your style and lock in those curls and waves.
The salon-length swivel cord is there to help give you maximum mobility and reach without having to worry about the cord running out or getting tangled up in itself.
Many professional stylists have been reported using this product in their work, and we are thrilled with the results. We’ve found ourselves being lost without our Hot Air Styler Thermal Brush. It’s easy to use and gives us a big, bold style we’re accustomed to getting from a normal trip to the salon.
It does seem, however, to be more suited for a particular style of hair. Those of us with shorter cuts have greater difficulty in using the product, and those of us who have thicker hair reported that it only added to the frizz instead of helping it.
The Hot Air Styler Thermal Brush is a favorite among professional stylists for a reason. Pick one up for yourself and see why it continues to be ranked as one of the most successful hot air brushes in the country.
Pros & Cons
Your Guide to the Hot Air Brush
Is there anything better than leaving the hair salon with freshly blow dried hair? It’s bouncy, full of volume, and you feel like a whole new woman as you strut down the road. However, then you get home, wash your hair, and try to replicate the hair drying technique you watched your stylist do, but there’s a problem.
For some reason, trying to recreate a salon worthy blowdry requires more at least six hands – how do they do it?! As you wrestle with your hairbrush, styling products and the hairdryer at the same time, it all seems like a lost cause. There’s no way you’d ever be able to get that salon-level blowdry, right? Well, that was until the air styler – also known as a hot air brush – was invented.
These ingenious hair tools have entirely revolutionised the blowdry game, making it easier than ever to add volume and bounce to your hair. Whether you’ve never heard of a hot air styler before in your life, or you’re just keen to find out what the best hot air styler on the market is, we’re here to help. Our ultimate guide is going to walk you through what a hot air brush is – and what it does – along with how to use one, what kind of hot air styler will work best on your hair type, and where to find the best hot air styler for you. No more limp and lifeless hair, we’re changing the game forever.
What is a hot air styler or hot air brush?
A hot air styler or hot air brush – whatever you want to call it – is actually a very simple yet clever piece of kit. At first glance, it looks like any other round barrel brush, like the kind a hairdresser will use on you in the salon when they’re creating that perfect blowdry. However, these are a little different as they blow out hot air while you brush! They come with a wire and plug, that you plug into the wall, and away you go. They’re effectively a hairdryer and styling brush in one. Clever, right?
The bristles are usually made from ceramic or wire, and the barrel of the brush itself tends to be ceramic. This means that it works in a similar way to other hair tools, like curling tongs and straighteners. There are lots of different versions, with all sorts of various benefits, but we’ll go into those in a little more detail later on. For now, all you need to know is that investing in the best hot air styler is going to change your life – for the better.
The benefits of a hot air brush compared to other hair tools
You may be thinking what the point in a hot air styler is when you could just use curling tongs, straighteners, a hairdryer and an ordinary hairbrush to style your hair the way you want. However, using a hot air brush has plenty more benefits than using traditional hair tools – and here are just some of them:
- Less equipment – How many hair gadgets, tools and accessories do you need to use to get the look you want? Probably quite a few! With a hot air styler, you don’t need to whip out every single piece of equipment whenever you want to style your hair – it’s an all-in-one solution.
- Less faff – Have you ever tried to blowdry your hair like the professionals? It’s a complete nightmare! Using a hairdryer and brush at the same time feels like trying to pat your head and rub your belly at the same time. Basically, impossible. A hot air brush will make life so much easier.
- Dry and go – When you straighten or curl your hair, usually you have to wait until your hair is dry before you get to work. With a hot air styler, it dries your hair at the same time, meaning you can get out of the door much quicker.
- Less damage – While even the best hot air brush isn’t going to protect your hair entirely from damage (it is still applying heat to the hair, after all), they are thought to be far less damaging than other heat products; particularly straighteners and curling tongs. They don’t get as hot and they’re far gentler on your locks.
- Volume and bounce – As we said, there’s nothing better than the volume and bounce you get from a salon blowdry. Using a hot air styler gives you the same kind of experience, without having to pay for the hairdresser to do it every single weekend.
- Rock any look – Want to add a bit of curl to your hair? A hot air styler can do that. Want to straighten it, while still keeping some volume? A hot air styler can do that too! They’re incredibly versatile, so you can rock any look you want.
- Beat the frizz – The majority of the best hot air stylers on the market utilise ceramic, either in the barrel of the air brush or on both barrel and bristles. Ceramic is the perfect heat conductor that also prevents frizzy hair – something which we can all fall victim too if just blow drying and brushing.
How to use a hot air styler
So, how exactly do you use a hot air styler? It’s really quite simple, and if you’ve ever brushed your hair, then you’ve basically got it down already. However, for those who want a step-by-step guide, this is all you need to know.
- Turn your hot air styler on to let it heat up. While it’s getting to the right temperature, towel dry your hair, so it’s about 80% dry. You can also spritz with your favourite heat protection spray, too.
- Section off your hair! Pin up the top half (above your ears), clip or tie it up so it’s out of the way, and split the bottom half into two.
- Now it’s time to get brushing. You can do this a few different ways, depending on what kind of look you’re going for. Either brush gently from root to tip, for a straight look with extra volume. Alternatively, wind your hair around the brush to create a wavy look. You can also get rotating hot air brushes that will create this kind of style for you, without any extra work – more on those later.
- Let it cool! Did you know that it’s not actually the heat that styles your hair, but the cooling process? The best hot air brush should have a “cool” setting available, which will let you blast some cold air on your hair. Do this for around 10 seconds, while holding in place. Alternatively, gently pull the brush out and pin your hair in place to let it cool naturally.
- Rinse and repeat! Continue the above steps throughout each section of your hair, until every part is dry and styled. You can then use argan oil, serum, hairspray, or whatever other styling products you usually use, to finish the look off.
Yep, it really is as simple as those five steps. There is no having to wait for your hair to dry or brushing out certain bits, as the hot air styler will do all of that for you. However, make sure you wait until your hot air brush is fully warmed up before you start using it. You don’t want uneven hair, which is what will happen if you don’t let it reach maximum temperature first.
What is the best hot air styler for your hair type?
The best hot air brush should work on any hair type, but each will come with certain benefits for your particular hair. For example, the best hot air styler for short hair is going to have a slimmer barrel than one for long hair. If your hair is hard to tame, then the best hot air styler for frizzy hair is going to be anything with a ceramic barrel and also, potentially, ceramic bristles. You should also consider what kind of products you use with your hot air brush if you have frizzy hair; an anti-frizz serum or argan oil will work well. If you have thick hair, opt for a larger barrel, the same as you would long hair. This is because you’ll need more area to wrap the hair around and create volume without going overboard with the curls.
How much should you pay for the best hot air brush?
The best hot air stylers vary in price; from the super purse-friendly to those that are a bit more break the bank. However, you’ll very rarely find even the best hot air styler on the market over £100. If you don’t have a lot of cash to splash, then you’ll be pleased to know that big-name brands, such as TRESemme, Braun, and Revlon all have affordable hot air brushes under £20.
However, if you want great value for money, then you’re looking in the region of £25-50. This price point will give you the best hair styler on a budget, with plenty of extras that will keep your hair looking silky smooth and in excellent condition. Revlon, BaByliss, Wahl, Remington, and Vidal Sassoon all have quality hot air brushes around this price range. These will offer you that salon blowdry experience time and time again, for the same price as just one blow out at the hairdressers.
What to look for before buying a hot air styler
Before you invest in a hot air styler, it’s important to know what you’re looking for. By now, you should know whether you’re looking for a big or a small barrel, depending on your hair type. However, that’s not all. Here are some of the features you may want to consider when looking for the best hot air styler for you:
- Heat settings – Adjustable heat settings will undoubtedly come in handy when investing in a hot air brush. Most will come with 2-3 and perhaps even the option of that useful cooling setting we mentioned earlier.
- Barrel material – Most of the best hot air brushes out there will come with a ceramic barrel, however, tourmaline is also another suitable material that you may want to consider.
- Bristles – Do you want firm bristles for more control or soft bristles for a less ‘just-styled’ look? Some even offer ceramic bristles to combat that frizz!
- Tangle-free – Most of the top hot air stylers will come with tangle-free technology, that will help you create the perfect style without any nasty knots. Or getting the brush caught up in your hair!
- Rotary or non-rotary – As we mentioned earlier, there are some hot air brushes out there that rotate. Yep, they basically do all of the hard work for you. Rotary hot air stylers will rotate as you brush them through your hair, ensuring a more natural, wavy look.
- Accessories – If you’d like to mix up your styles every now and then, look for the best hot air styler with various accessories and attachments. Some come with different barrel sizes, so you can play around with what works for you. Remember, smaller barrels are good for short and thin hair, or for creating tighter curls. Larger barrels are great for long and thick hair, or for creating those Hollywood waves.
- Reviews – Always make sure you read through the reviews of any hot air styler before you part with your cash. Even the best hot air styler reviews may bring up something that could be a dealbreaker for you – or something which persuades you to buy!
Do I need the best hot air styler?
In short, if you want salon quality hair, without spending out on a blowdry every day, then investing in the best hot air styler can change your life. When you look at the cost of even the best budget hot air brush, it’s far cheaper than visiting the hairdresser so often. Plus, it’s far kinder on your hair than blow drying, straightening and curling – just make sure you always use the heat protection spray! A hot air styler can save you plenty of time in the mornings, too. So, unless you’re going to grow another pair of hands to recreate that salon hair at home, it’s time to treat your locks to a hot air brush. You won’t regret it!
Recent Reviews & Guides
- The Best Men’s Electric Shavers
- The Best Electric Toothbrushes Reviewed
- The Best IPL Hair Removal Devices Reviewed
- The Best Heated Rollers Reviewed
- The Best Hot Air Brushes Reviewed
- The Best Lady Shavers Reviewed
- The Best Epilators Reviewed
- The Best Hair Straighteners Reviewed
- The Best Curling Tongs and Curling Wands
- The Best Hair Dryers